Typhoon Faxai: Storm cuts power to 900,000 homes

Adjust Comment Print

Faxai made landfall near the city of Chiba before 5 a.m. Monday, becoming one of the strongest recorded typhoons to hit the Kanto region of eastern Japan.

"I've never seen a situation like this, where the entire city lost power", a city official was quoted as saying.

Several railway and subway operators' suspended services and flights were cancelled at Tokyo airports.

A woman in her 50s died in Tokyo after she was smashed against a building by strong gusts, according to security camera footage.

More than 30 people have been injured as a result of Faxai and one woman, who was found unconscious in a residential street near central Tokyo, was killed by the storm. But the number of homes without power had dropped to 840,000 by early Monday afternoon, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry said.

Rodong Sinmun said officials and workers were engaged in an "intense struggle" to fix power systems in several towns, including Kaesong, Pongsan, Jaeryong and Paechon, removing toppled telephone poles and steel towers and building emergency electricity networks to use until utilities are fully restored.

The floating solar plant at the Yamakura Dam in Ichihara, Chiba Prefecture, went online in March 2018.

South Africa closes embassy in Nigeria after xenophobic violence
There has been a widespread wave of Afrophobia in a number of African countries after it was started by South Africans. Violence against migrant business operators has gripped South Africa in recent days.

"We are working closely with the teams concerned to minimise any impact from these delays", he said.

However, the Tokyo Disaster Prevention Management warned residents to remain alert for strong winds.

The severe weather in Japan comes after a separate typhoon, Lingling, lashed the Korean Peninsula over the weekend, leaving five people dead in North Korea and three dead in South Korea.

Metal signs were torn from the sides of buildings, trucks overturned, the metal roof of a petrol station torn off and glass display cases destroyed, scattering sidewalks with broken glass.

Parts of the Tokaido Shinkansen line were halted, as was the Yamanote Line, a Tokyo commuter line.

It took hours for other lines to resume, packing stations with impatient commuters fanning themselves in the humid air.

Yesterday was the first time in 19 years that the mercury rose above 36 deg C in Tokyo in September, the Japan Meteorological Agency said, as it issued heatstroke warnings.