Canadian police reveal how teen fugitives died after manhunt

Adjust Comment Print

Officers say the two suspects had been dead for several days before they were found at approximately 10 a.m. on August 7, though their exact date and time of death is not known.

Police said there were "strong indications" the fugitives were alive for a few days during the intensive search of the Gillam area. Authorities are conducting forensic analysis to determine whether those weapons were connected to the ongoing homicide investigations.

Investigators say they are now assessing all the findings in the cases so far "in order to gain more clarity" into what happened to Dyck, Fowler, and Deese.

Schmegelsky and McLeod, from Vancouver Island, are suspected of shooting dead Mr Fowler, 23, and his North Carolina girlfriend, Chynna Deese, 24, after the couple's van broke down on a British Columbia highway on 14 July.

Initially, the pair were reported missing themselves after their auto was found torched in British Columbia province, but police then discovered the third body, and the teens were named as formal suspects.

A burned-out camper believed to have been used by the two suspects was found a mile from Dyck's body.

Two guns were also found near the area. Officers found several items connected to the two suspects near the boat that same day and eventually found the bodies nearby a few days later.

Arab coalition calls for ceasefire in Aden, Yemen
The government has said it will not negotiate with the separatists until they hand over all the military positions they seized. The commander was among 36 people killed - many of them newly graduated cadets - in the aerial attack, claimed by the Houthis.

While McLeod and Schmegelsky were initially considered missing persons, they were soon linked with the murders and deemed wanted suspects.

RCMP Assistant Commissioner Kevin Hackett has said it would be "extremely hard for us to ascertain definitively what the motive was".

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police announced on Monday they had completed autopsies on two bodies found near Gillam, in northern Canada.

Schmegelsky's father, Alan Schmegelsky, said earlier he had expected the nationwide manhunt to end in his son's death, who he said was on a "suicide mission."

Their next of kin have been notified and they have been offered support. The suspects had not been seen since the burned-out auto was found on July 22.

Authorities had been searching the area for weeks after a Toyota RAV4 that authorities believe the teens stole from Dyck was found on fire and discarded July 22 outside Gillam, a small Manitoba town situated along Nelson River and Stephens Lake.

"The assessment will review all the investigative findings to date, whether it is statements, evidentiary time lines, physical or digital evidence, and the BC RCMP have also have engaged our Behavioural Analysis Unit (BAU)", RCMP said.