Otto Warmbier suffered "severe neurological injury" while imprisoned in North Korea

Adjust Comment Print

Kelly Martin, Senior Director of Communications at University of Cincinnati Health, said that Otto was "in stable condition but received a severe neurological injury". The doctors said Thursday that there were no clear signs of physical trauma, such as scars or bone fractures.

He said it was his understanding that Ambassador Yun, at the direction of President Donald Trump, "aggressively pursued resolution of the situation".

Otto Warmbier, 22, has been in "a state of unresponsive wakefulness" since arriving at an OH hospital after what North Korean officials said was more than a year in a coma, doctor Daniel Kanter said.

That was the last time Warmbier was seen publicly - and about the same time he fell into a coma, his parents say they were told.

North Korea did not comment on Warmbier's medical condition or how his release was negotiated.

Former New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, a former US ambassador to the United Nations, said there should be an investigation into what happened to Warmbier leading to this "tragic situation". North Korea reportedly told the USA that Warmbier contracted botulism poisoning and fell into a coma soon after his March 2016 trial, in which he confessed to stealing a propaganda poster from a hotel.

Warmbier has suffered extreme damage to all parts of his brain, typically caused by a loss of blood to the brain, the doctors said, although they were unable to speculate on what may have happened to Warmbier while he was in North Korea.

"We don't believe anything that they say", Fred said.

Nancy Pelosi Should Resign, Frustrated Democrats Say
In a performance worthy of "The Gong Show", the woebegone Democrats couldn't even win after pouring $31 million into the district. No, Pelosi's opposition comes from within the party. "Of course, there's a letdown after something like this", Owens said.

Earlier today, Warmbier's father Fred said the North Koreans brutalized his son and implied the regime is lying about the cause of his son's coma. The state-run Korean Central News Agency on Thursday said he had been sentenced to hard labor but did not comment on his medical condition.

The parents of Otto Warmbier have spoken at a press event in Cincinnati on Thursday to share information about their son.

Warmbier's release coincided with basketball star Dennis Rodman's latest visit to North Korea, though Michael Anton, a usa national security spokesman, told CNN there is no connection between the two. He was then transported to University of Cincinnati Medical Center, where he is in a coma. Joy at his release was mixed with concern over his condition.

Fred Warmbier also said President Trump called him and Cindy last night to ask how Otto is doing.

After a one-hour trial in March 2016, Otto was convicted of attempting to steal a propaganda poster and sentenced to 15 years of hard labor.

Three other American citizens - Kim Hak-song, Kim Sang-duk and Kim Dong Chul - remain detained by the reclusive dictatorship. After a Pyongyang diplomat told ABC News last summer that US citizens detained in North Korea would be subjected to wartime laws, Richardson suggested that the Geneva Conventions might be at stake.

It is believed that North Korea has been using the detentions as a bargaining chip in its negotiations with Washington.

Comments