A 31-year-old Los Angeles police officer was arrested for allegedly having sex with a 15-year-old female police cadet, Police Chief Charlie Beck said Thursday.
Earlier Thursday, multiple sources told KTLA the person arrested is a male LAPD officer from 77th Street Division accused of having sex with a female juvenile cadet, and investigators believe the officer may have had additional victims. MORE: 4 more LAPD cadets arrested after theft of police vehiclesThe first vehicle crashed in the area of 77th and San Pedro streets, while a second one ended in a crash at Central Avenue and Adams Boulevard.
"Text messages were found that we thought could indicate inappropriate behavior", Beck said. The development comes just days after seven total arrests were announced in the alleged theft of police cruisers by teen cadets who police say took the vehicles out for joyrides. But Beck said Cain was at one point "in charge of the mechanism by which you check out police equipment" at the 77th Street station.
He has no significant discipline history.
Detectives began searching Cain's locker, residence and social media accounts on Thursday for evidence of any other sexual misconduct.
"Obviously this is not the Police Department that I want to lead", the chief said. Los Angeles police officials stand near a display board showing an image of officer Robert Cain as they listen to Police Chief Charlie Beck during a news conference Thursday, June 22, 2017, in Los Angeles.
Philippines: IS funded siege through Malaysian militant
He said the information that the Maute brothers were killed by government troops was "very likely". In the meeting, it was decided that Indonesia will host the next meeting in October 2017.
"I believe the cadet has only been with the department for a few months", Beck said.
I find the actions of Cain, if they are proven, to be despicable.
The embarrassing scandal unfolded last week, when police officers gave chase to two patrol vehicles that had been discovered missing on June 14.
"There is no higher priority than protecting and guiding our young people - and when they become LAPD cadets, every parent should feel confident that they will be treated with the utmost care every step of the way". The only adult among them has been identified: 18-year-old Leonel Roberto Flores, who was arrested on suspicion of unlawful driving of an emergency vehicle.
The cadet programs at 77th Street Divisions, where six of the cadets worked, and Pacific Division, where one worked, have been suspended.
"Every day Los Angeles' police officer staffing crisis puts resident's safety at-risk and this extends to each patrol divisions' inadequate Kit Room security", according to a statement from the LAPPL. Investigators said they used a vacationing sergeant's name to sign out the cars along with stun guns and radios. Despite the investigation, a graduation ceremony for the cadet program is expected to continue as scheduled on Saturday.


Comments