USS Fitzgerald: Sailors killed in collision off Japan's coast named

Adjust Comment Print

The US Navy said Saturday that "a number" of missing sailors on the USS Fitzgerald were found in flooded berthing compartments.

The Navy said it had found "a number" of bodies inside the guided missile destroyer, but did not specify if all seven crew had been found dead in the search that took place after it limped back into harbour.

"U.S. and Japanese support from the Navy, Maritime Self-Defense Force and Coast Guard are in the area to ensure that the sailors on USS Fitzgerald have the resources they need to stabilize their ship", said Adm. John Richardson, Chief of Naval Operations, in an earlier statement.

On Monday morning in Japan, the Navy's 7th Fleet identified the seven sailors who died. Bryce Benson, was trapped inside his cabin, which was hit directly, Aucoin said.

"They are known as the "Fighting Fitz" and the crew lived up to that name".

Sykes says her son told her that sailors initially believed they were under attack and some immediately went to man the guns. Benson was transferred to U.S. Naval Hospital Yokosuka.

He thanked "our Japanese allies" for their swift assistance, and said the Navy will full investigate the cause. Two berthing spaces, a machinery room and the radio room were damaged and began taking in water after the destroyer was rammed mid-right side of the ship. Navy divers had recovered the bodies after the severely damaged Fitzgerald returned to the fleet's home in Yokosuka, Japan, on Saturday with assistance from tug boats.

Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin, the commander of the 7th Fleet, described a harrowing scene as other sailors fought to keep the ship from sinking.

Patty Jenkins Still Not Signed On For Wonder Woman Sequel
Warner Bros . typically offers a one-picture-only deal for directors who are handling a big budget studio film for the first time. The Avengers and Avengers: Age Of Ultron director, Joss Whedon, took to Twitter to praise Wonder Woman and called it a "delight".

About 200 sailors were aboard the ship at the time of the collision.

Two other sailors were also evacuated and treated for lacerations and bruises, while crew were still assessing the other injured. Most congestion occurs in the early hours of the day, and fast currents make it a tricky area that requires experience and skill to navigate.

Japan's coastguard is conducting an investigation into the accident - including interviewing the Japanese-owned container ship's Filipino crew - although the USA has primary jurisdiction in probing accidents involving military personnel. Many scratches were also seen in the frontal area.

There was no immediate explanation as to the cause of the collision.

Multiple US and Japanese investigations are under way on how a ship as large as the container could ram into the smaller warship in clear weather. Nippon Yusen KK, the Japanese company that charters the vessel, claims it will "cooperate fully" with the investigation. The coast guard questioned crew members of the ACX Crystal, and is treating the incident as a case of possible professional negligence, said Masayuki Obara, a regional coast guard official.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe sent a sympathy message to President Donald Trump.

"Just heard the sweetest voice and saw a wonderful face".

Comments