Mastermind behind Tehran attacks killed

Adjust Comment Print

According to Fars, Ahmad Fazelian, a provincial judiciary official, said seven of the individuals were detained in Fardis, Alborz province, and the last one was apprehended in Karaj, the provincial capital, about 50 km west of Tehran.

Terrorists launched simultaneous attacks on Iran's parliament building in downtown Tehran and on the mausoleum of the late founder of the Islamic Republic Imam Khomeini, south of the city, on Wednesday morning.

The move comes a day after a pair of ISIS-claimed attacks on Iran's parliament and the tomb of its revolutionary leader killed at least 13 people and wounded over 40.

The Saudis recently hosted US President Donald Trump in Riyadh, where the American leader called on Saudi Arabia and other Arab nations to "drive out the terrorists and extremists" from the region. He concludes by threatening the royal family of Saudi Arabia and promises, "after Iran, it will be your turn".

Two of the attackers eventually detonated explosive vests themselves, while the others were shot dead by security forces.

Thousands of people gathered on the streets of Tehran as Iran held funeral ceremonies for the victims of twin attacks that killed 17 people earlier this week.

2nd LD: Protesters storm local town hall over London fire
Protesters were called away from the foyer by protest organiser Mustafa Mansour, who urged calm. She then went to visit victims in the church where Corbyn was pictured hugging crying victims.

On Friday, however, he turned his wrath for the attacks on the United States and Saudi Arabia.

Police said five people were arrested around Khomeini's shrine on suspicion of involvement, while the intelligence ministry said a third team had been stopped before the attacks started.

On Wednesday, two deadly terror attacks took place in Tehran, and ISIS has since claimed responsibility. The sources from state security have pointed to Iranian Kurds affiliated with Islamic State the likely perpetrators.

"The parliament will spare no efforts in lending support to the Revolutionary Guards, the Qods forces and the country's defense might".

"The terrorists first went by auto to the mausoleum and after dropping two of them off, went to the city centre to attack parliament", the police said.

Despite the leaders' statements downplaying the attacks, simultaneously, Iran has vowed it will fully "avenge" the attacks and punish the attackers - six of whom were killed and five of whom were arrested.

Comments