Afghan forces clear Tora Bora of IS militants: Defense Ministry

Adjust Comment Print

A senior media member of Islamic State-Khorasan (IS-K), the Afghanistan branch of the Middle East-nased Islamist organisation, has been killed, the USA military said.

Khan's removal "will deprive the group of an experienced media production director and skilled propagandist", U.S. Forces-Afghanistan said.

Jawad Khan's death "will disrupt the [Daesh] network, degrade their recruitment process and hinder their attempts to conduct global operations", General John Nicholson, commander of USA forces in Afghanistan, said in a statement.

There is no safe haven for ISIS-K in Afghanistan.

At the start of the year, the United States said its primary focus in Afghanistan in 2017 was to eliminate ISIS-K, which has claimed responsibility for a number of high-profile attacks across the country.

The US estimates that there are 600 to 3,000 IS fighters in Afghanistan, with majority operating in Nangarhar province.

Farrell believes British & Irish Lions are relishing challenge of New Zealand attack
No players who started the Maori game will face the Chiefs . "The Barbarians game was tough because we arrived on Wednesday and we were expected to play on the Saturday", said Sexton.

In April, the US dropped a massive bomb on IS positions in Nangarhar Province, killing more than 90 militants, according to the Afghan Defense Ministry. While previously overshadowed by rival hard-line Sunni Muslim group the Taliban, ISIS-K appears to be strengthening its foothold in the country, and the US has attempted to curb its influence by taking out key leaders.

After Mujahiddin, Osama bin Laden, the late leader of al-Qaeda, used the area as a hideout; Tora Bora became well-known in the world and was under Taliban control until last Tuesday when Daesh took control of the area. However, the Taliban refuted the claims.

It was inclear if fighting would continue.

Despite suffering losses to the USA -led coalition, ISIS has recently made gains against the Taliban, which likely outnumbers ISIS in strength about twentyfold.

The US military further said that there were no civilian casualties associated with the strike on June 3.

Comments