Silent marches in Venezuela capital after deadly protests

Adjust Comment Print

"I have an empty stomach because I can't find food", said Jeannette Canozo, a 66-year-old homemaker, who said police used rubber bullets against protesters blocking a Caracas avenue with trash and bathtubs in the early morning.

Diosdado Cabello, leader of the ruling socialist party, recently told his supporters: "These are terrorist groups on a mission to sow hate and death".

Pro-government protesters also took to the streets and clashed with those demonstrating against Mr Maduro's rule.

For the first time since the turmoil in the streets started at the beginning of April, the demonstrators were able to cross Caracas, including several districts loyal to Maduro and his late predecessor Hugo Chavez.

The two killings raised to 23 the number of deaths linked to unrest that began nearly a month ago over the Supreme Court's decision to gut the opposition-controlled congress of its powers.

Opposition leaders marched with their arms wrapped around each other into western Caracas Saturday, vowing to continue protesting until new elections are granted.

The government's disqualification from public office of two-time presidential candidate Henrique Capriles, who would be an opposition favourite to replace Maduro, gave further impetus to the demonstrations.

The court reversed course after global condemnation, but Maduro's Government further fuelled the protests by barring the opposition's most popular politician, Henrique Capriles, from holding office for 15 years. The court later reversed its decision, but protests had already begun.

Trump Moves to Support Wisconsin Dairy and Lumber Competing with Canada
On Tuesday morning, he tweeted: "Canada has made business for our dairy farmers in Wisconsin and other border states very hard ". Commerce Department said that in 2016 softwood lumber imports from Canada were valued at $5.66 billion.

"We are taking a stand so that Maduro knows he has to go", said Amalia Duran, a housewife of 41 who joined thousands of protesters under a scorching sun in Caracas.

"I'm staying here until 6 pm".

"We want to be free".

The opposition blames Maduro for the unraveling of the oil giant's once-booming economy.

The current wave of protests is the most intense the economically struggling country has seen since two months of anti-government protests in 2014 that left dozens dead.

President Nicolas Maduro said Sunday that he wants "elections now", referring to elections for governors which were supposed to be held last December, and those for mayors scheduled for this year. Over the past three weeks 23 have died across the country in massive demonstrations being held by pro and anti-government protesters.

The rally came amid weeks of turmoil and protests against the government of President Nicolas Maduro, whose failure to address the acute economic crisis in the country as well as to meet opposition demands has led to the upheaval in the Latin American country.

Comments