Bill O'Reilly's Name Has Already Been Scrubbed From 'The Factor'

Adjust Comment Print

The downfall of Fox's most popular - and most lucrative - personality began with an April 1 report in The New York Times that five women had been paid a total of $13 million to keep quiet about disturbing encounters with O'Reilly, who continued to deny any wrongdoing in a statement hours after he was sacked.

"After a thorough and careful review of the allegations", parent company 21st Century Fox said in a statement, "the company and Bill O'Reilly have agreed that Bill O'Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel". Bloom is also representing Wendy Walsh, a former Fox News contributor who has said that O'Reilly reneged on an offer of employment after she rebuffed his advances and declined an invitation to his hotel suite in 2013.

The scandal, which was initially reported by The New York Times, had motivated about 50 companies - including big names such as Mercedes-Benz, Hundai and BMW - to withdraw their advertising from "The O'Reilly Factor", the host's evening programme.

After the news of O'Reilly's departure was introduced by "Special Report" anchor Bret Baier, Kurtz paraphrased much of his digital story. O'Reilly has denied wrongdoing.

Bill O'Reilly will not return to host The O'Reilly Factor amid accusations of sexual harassment against him, 21st Century Fox has announced.

The decision to sack Mr O'Reilly appears to have been made between Tuesday and Wednesday by the Murdoch family, which controls the operations of 21st Century Fox. Carlson, a veteran who has hosted shows on CNN, MSNBC and PBS, had taken over for Megyn Kelly in January when she announced she was moving to NBC News.

In a statement posted on his Web site, O'Reilly said he was "extremely proud" of his time at Fox News, which he said "significantly contributed to building Fox into the dominant news network in television".

"The O'Reilly Factor" has been hosted by a rotating cast of substitutes in his absence, including Dana Perino, former spokeswoman for president George W. Bush. Carlson's settlement was for $20 million, and Fox News issued a public apology to Carlson.

Aaron Hernandez's Family Wants to Donate His Brain for Research, Lawyer Says
Hernandez's family wants to donate his brain to Boston University's CTE center, his attorney Jose Baez said. Hernandez was serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole for the 2013 murder of Odin Lloyd .

Others figure that O'Reilly's firing won't be a sticking point for most Fox viewers.

Elsewhere in the media, though, the revelation was a big topic among journalists and media executives, with many wondering if O'Reilly - long seen as invincible for his ability to weather previous controversies - might actually lose his job.

You may have already heard, there are some major changes coming to the programming lineup here at Fox News channel.

"He insulted me, and within fifteen minutes, said "forget all the career advice I just gave you".

The National Geographic channel has aired a series of adaptations of O'Reilly books, including "Killing Reagan" and "Killing Kennedy".

Vatican spokesman Greg Burke confirmed O'Reilly was in the VIP section for the pope's Wednesday appearance.

Six women, all either employees or guests of the show, claimed O'Reilly subjected them to sexual harassment, verbal abuse and lewd behavior spanning from 2012-2016.

Comments