United Nations strongly condemns North Korean missile launch after delay

Adjust Comment Print

Russian Federation on Wednesday blocked UN Security Council condemnation of North Korea's latest missile test even though China had backed the strongly-worded statement put forward by the United States, diplomats said.

The statement was to condemn the latest failed ballistic missile test by North Korea, but failed to get through the top security body on Wednesday. In a statement on its website, the Russian Mission to the United Nations asserted that the USA cut off negotiations when Russia proposed to reinsert language on dialogue.

Last month, the council was united in strongly condemning the launch of three missiles and expressed serious concern over Pyongyang's "increasingly destabilizing behavior".

Asked by CBS News if she considers ballistic missile tests to be a provocation, she said the US evaluates North Korean action based on whether the country "violates Security Council resolutions, so they definitely have done that".

US Ambassador Nikki Haley separately stressed that the onus was on North Korea to prevent an escalation.

"I think at the end of the day we realized North Korea is a problem and no one on the council wants to see North Korea move forward with any sort of testing or strikes. and if we have to start looking at sanctions or other actions we will".

French media report 2 police have been shot in Paris
The claim of responsibility came unusually swiftly for the group, which has been losing territory in Iraq and Syria. Dozens of vehicles from the emergency services were sent to the area, where a helicopter was also deployed.

North Korea will definitely be in the U.N. spotlight on April 28 when U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson presides at a Security Council meeting where U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres will brief members on the North's nuclear program.

She told reporters today "The ball is in their court".

The paper, obtained by The Associated Press, says the North's latest actions "make clear that further worldwide pressure is required for the DPRK to change its behavior if there is to be any hope for meaningful denuclearization talks to resume". "They shouldn't try and play it", she said.

US Vice President Mike Pence earlier vowed that the United States would counter any North Korean attack with an "overwhelming and effective" response.

It also states that North Korea's "illegal ballistic missile activities are contributing to its development of nuclear weapons".

She said that she wanted Pyongyang to see that the USA was not an aggressor. "This should have passed as soon as possible after the missile launch attempt, period", the official said.

Comments