Texas girl who contracted brain-eating amoeba dies, family says

Adjust Comment Print

A young Texas girl who was infected by a brain-eating amoeba from swimming in a river has died from the rare illness, according to reports. She was given an amoeba-fighting pill called Miltefosine. "After hearing what they thought were sounds of Lily having a nightmare in her sleep, mom quickly realized Lily was beginning the fight of her life".

"She fought the good fight and built an ARMY of prayer warriors around the world doing it", Yadon wrote in a Facebook post.

Lily Mae Avant, 10, was hospitalised for almost a week in Fort Worth, Texas, after swimming over Labour Day weekend in the Brazos River near Valley Mills, McClatchy news group previously reported. She taught us so much more in her ten years than we ever taught her. Her family announced her death and said she was in 'the arms of Jesus'.

Lily Avant went swimming in a river over Labor Day weekend and contracted a brain-eating amoeba.

According to the CDC, Naegleria fowleri is a free-living microscopic ameba, (single-celled living organism). Lily apparently fell ill with a headache and fever last weekend after swimming. She is stronger than anybody I know'. She also appeared to have the symptoms of a common virus, but her condition worsened. "This campus and community are beyond blessed for the time we shared with our Lily".

Taiwan loses yet another ally after getting dumped by the Solomon Islands
It vowed to fight China's "increasingly out of control" behavior after El Salvador a year ago switched its allegiance to Beijing. Only 16 nations still diplomatically recognize the island over Beijing .

In most years in Texas, "we have zero or one case", Van Desuen said, adding that Lily's was the first case of the year in the state.

The Texas Department of State Health Services confirmed that a Bosque County resident contracted PAM, primary amebic meningoencephalitis.

The chances of contracting a brain-eating amoeba in the US remain rare.

Between 1962 and 2017, only four patients out of 143 have survived this particular infection in the U.S. The amoeba enters the body through the nose and works its way towards the brain. The amoeba is very common in natural, unchlorinated bodied across the US, but it is extremely rare. A person can not get infected from swallowing water contaminated with Naegleria fowleri.

The ameba is commonly found in warm freshwater (e.g. lakes, rivers, and hot springs) and soil.

Comments