Portugal wildfires 'started by arsonists,' says firefighter chief

Adjust Comment Print

Victor Vaz Pinto, commander of the civil protection agency, said a helicopter had been sent out to search for the aircraft reported to have crashed but had found nothing.

More than 1,000 firefighters on Monday continued to battle a giant forest fire that swept through central Portugal at the weekend, killing at least 62 people.

"We couldn't see anything, we couldn't even see the road, just the flames and the pine trees falling on the road", she said.

The Red Cross reports that 25 local units have been assisting with moving affected people and working with personnel from the National Institute of Emergency Medicine, as well as providing psychosocial support, water, food, bedding and blankets.

He said a woman told him he saw the plane crash in a fireball.

Hundreds of firefighters battled blazes in central Portugal on Wednesday as the funerals of some of the 64 people killed in the inferno renewed anger over the emergency response to the disaster.

The blaze around Pedrogao Grande was expected to be under control shortly, Vaz Pinto said Tuesday.

The death toll for the massive fire in central Portugal climbed to 63 on Monday after an injured firefighter died in hospital, the league of Portuguese firefighters said in their website.

People Worldwide Forced From Their Homes In Record Numbers In 2016
The ranking does not include the 5.3 million registered Palestinian refugees . Over 900,000 refugees from South Sudan are sheltering in Uganda .

Some firefighting resources were being diverted to Gois, about 20 kilometres from Pedrogao Grande, where nearly 800 firefighters and four planes were battling the flames.

A leading Portuguese environmental lobby group, Quercus, said the fires were the result of "forest management errors and bad political decisions" by governments over recent decades.

More than 1,000 firefighters and nine water-dropping aircraft have been battling the blaze in Pedrogao Grande.

The global community has stepped in to help, with Spain, France and Italy sending water-bombing planes.

Officials say 47 of the dead in Saturday night's blaze died on a road as they fled the flames.

There was another couple in the auto behind them, but Ms Nunas said they didn't escape and died on the road.

Portugal was hit by a series of fires past year which devastated more than 100,000ha of the mainland.

The Civil Protection Agency said it hoped to contain the flames on Tuesday, though temperatures forecast to reach 43C (109F) and gusting winds remain a threat.

Comments