Investigators have found a stash of weapons at the home of a man killed while ramming a auto loaded with guns and a gas canister into a police van on Paris's Champs-Elysees, a source close to the probe said today.
Officials told French media that weapons, including a Kalashnikov rifle and handguns, as well as "gas canisters" were found in the auto.
Interior Minister Gerard Collomb confirmed that a auto hit the leading vehicle in a line of police vans as they headed down the Champs-Elysees, near the Grand Palais exhibition hall.
Reports say Paris prosecutors have opened an anti-terror investigation into the attack. Prime Minister Edouard Philippe said on BFM television Monday that the permit was initially issued before the attacker was flagged to authorities.
In July past year, 86 people were killed when a truck plowed through a crowd in Nice, and similar incidents have occurred in other European cities.
In April, a man shot at police officers on the Champs-Elysees, killing one officer and wounding two others.
"By God's grace, we were able to protect him from harm", Mahmoud said.
France has been in a state of emergency since an attack in Paris in November 2015 that killed 130 people.
The current state of emergency is due to expire on July 15 but the government is seeking to extend it until November 1 - presumably after the new anti-terrorism law takes effect.
Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo responds favourably to Florentino Perez's radio comments
Barcelona's Lionel Messi was sentenced to a 21-month jail sentence and 2.09 million euro fine previous year for tax fraud. Barcelona defender Javier Mascherano also agreed a one-year suspended sentence with authorities for tax fraud last year.
"This shows once again that the threat level in France is extremely high", the interior minister said.
A man has died after after attempting to carry out an attack on French security forces on Paris' Champs-Elysees.
Footage from the scene, screened by broadcaster BFMTV, showed intense flames coming from the passenger compartment of a saloon auto and police apparently attempting to pull the driver out.
A SUSPECTED suicide bomber died after crashing his vehicle into a police van on the Champs-Élysées in Paris yesterday.
It is not clear exactly how the suspected terrorist died. The assailant's small white vehicle reportedly caught on fire following the attack, and the male attacker later died.
Sources close to the probe said he had been on France's security watchlist since 2015 over ties to "the radical Islamist movement".
The incident on one of the French capital's busiest shopping and tourist districts rattled the city anew after multiple attacks targeting security forces. "There will be deaths", before two of the soldier's comrades shot the attacker dead.
Two subway station in the area were closed.
Police said a Kalashnikov rifle, handguns and gas bottles were found in the white Renault Megane.





Comments