Philippines' Duterte Not Aware Of US Support Against Islamists In Marawi

Adjust Comment Print

Herrera also said 40 marines were wounded.

Sen. Gregorio Honasan, head of the national defense and security committee, said the assistance being provided by the USA is limited to technical information and equipment support to Filipino troops. That followed sightings on Friday of a US P3 Orion surveillance aircraft over Marawi.

It said it had an additional 300 to 500 troops in the country to support regular training and activities, without giving further details. "They fought gallantly for the liberation of our Maranao brothers and sisters", Abella said.

Without confirming the specific request from the Philippines, a Facebook spokesman said the company has "well-established law enforcement channels for governments to contact us about emergencies".

Friday's battle is the biggest one-day loss experienced by the Philippines military since a friendly-fire incident on June 1 which killed 10 soldiers. The death toll for civilians was 20 and more than 100 had been killed overall.

Arevalo said fighting resumed Saturday as troops pushed their advance into three districts where more than 200 militants were still holed up.

On June 1, the government and the MILF agreed on the creation of a "peace corridor" - a safety route that runs from Marawi City down to the municipality of Malabang in Lanao del Sur to hasten humanitarian and rescue operations.

'There were intense firefights, house-to-house gunbattles, ' said Herrera at a news conference in Marawi.

The military said it was making headway in the town but was proceeding carefully so as not to destroy mosques where some of the militants had taken up positions.

French Open Champion Rafa Nadal Left Speechless After La Decima
Nadal clinched the summit clash with an emphatic 6-2,6-3,6-1 win over the third seed Wawrinka . Nadal's next best was 41 games dropped in winning Roland Garros in 2008.

Separately, the Philippines military has said 13 marines have been killed in the fighting, The Associated Press reported.

Warplanes hovered over and black smoke could be seen rising in many parts of the city.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Sunday he was not aware the US government was providing assistance to government troops in its battle against Islamist militants in a southern city.

The US that has had a logistical military presence in the Philippines, however, has pledged to remain "committed to our pursuit of shared objectives" in keeping with the "seven-decade alliance between our two countries".

Lorenzana, the designated administrator of martial law, has ordered the arrest of almost 200 militants, politicians and other suspected civilian backers of the uprising in Marawi, the heartland of Islamic faith in the south of the predominantly Roman Catholic nation.

Last year, the Islamic State group said he was its Southeast Asian "emir".

The JSOTF-P operates under the auspices of the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) between the Philippines and the US-a pact that allows United States troops to train and advise the Philippine military in its fight against terrorists but bans U.S. forces in combat operations. The Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL)-affiliated fighters used improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and rocket-propelled grenades to repel the assault.

During President Barack Obama's administration, Duterte fiercely criticized the United States for what he characterized as military overreach in the Philippines. Military officials believe Hapilon is still in the city, in contrast to earlier reports that he had been missing.

The announcement of AFP Chief of Staff Gen. Eduardo Año that by today, as we celebrate our country's 119th anniversary of independence, the Philippine flag will be flying in Marawi City, is indeed morale boosting.

Comments