Thursday's launch appears to be an extension of the tests.
President Moon Jae-in, left, presides over a National Security Council (NSC) meeting at the Blue House at 2 p.m. Thursday as North Korea fired several short-range anti-ship cruise missiles off its eastern coast in the morning.
The Pentagon fired the mock ICBM-class missile last Wednesday from a test range on Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands, while the Pentagon Missile Defense Agency launched the interceptor from an underground silo at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California.
The test-firing by the DPRK came as the USA military dispatched nuclear-powered aircraft carriers to waters off the Korean Peninsula. According to the nation, it was "the height of shameless arrogance, self-righteousness and double standards" considering that the U.S.is also in the middle of its own "military buildup".
South Korean President Moon Jae-in warned Thursday that North Korea was in danger of missing out on development opportunities - hours after it launched a flurry of missiles.
North Korea's latest launches of missiles were short-range and landed well short of past efforts, but they still served as a defiant message that Pyongyang will continue to pursue a weapons program that has rattled neighbors and Washington.
The cruise missile firing does not violate UN Security Council resolutions against the North, which ban launches using ballistic missile technology, Yonhap said.
North Korea said the missile featured a precision-control guidance system and hit its planned target to within an accuracy of 7 meters.
North Korea launches multiple missiles, says South Korea's defence ministry
Washington has also been pressuring China to play a more constructive role in curbing Pyongyang's missile and nuclear programs. Moon said he was willing to talk with Kim Jong-un, but under the condition that he halts any military provocation.
Thursday's launch is the fourth missile test by the North since Moon took office on May 10 pledging to engage in dialogue with Pyongyang.
Moon had also promised to review the deployment of the THAAD system in South Korea, a decision that was made by the government of his conservative predecessor, Park Geun-hye. A presidential aide was reported to have said that the survey could take up to two years.
Professor Yang Moo-Jin of the University of North Korean Studies told AFP: "North Korea has been stepping up missile tests.in order to project an image to the world that worldwide sanctions can never bring it to its knees".
"It doesn't make sense to withdraw the two initial launchers which had already been deployed and installed, but additional installation will be decided after the environmental impact assessment is over", the administration official told reporters on Wednesday.
U.S. President Donald Trump also raised concerns about the agreement when he demanded $1 billion for the American weapons system in April.
However China adamantly opposes the THAAD regional deployment that could potentially give the US the means to counter its missile capabilities as well.
The introduction of the THAAD system, which includes a far-reaching radar that China worries could upset the regional security balance, has sparked protests in South Korea and a backlash in China against South Korean business interests.
The missiles were featured on top of mobile launchers with four launch tubes.



Comments