Die, many injured in IS attacks on Iran

Adjust Comment Print

Iran's intelligence ministry said on Thursday five men involved in the attacks in Tehran had fought for Islamic State in the militants' strongholds in Syria and Iraq, state TV reported.

The ministry said that the gunmen had a record in "terrorism" with links to the Sunni extremist groups, who had then joined the ISIS group and fought alongside the ISIS militants in Mosul and Raqqa.

It identified the men only by their first names, saying they didn't want to release their last names due to security and privacy concerns for their families. The Islamic State group claimed the attacks.

The Islamic State group claimed the attack, marking the first time it has taken responsibility for an assault in Iran.

The bill would impose mandatory sanctions on people involved in Iran's ballistic missile program and anyone who does business with them.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said that as the Iran legislation moves forward, lawmakers will have an opportunity to offer amendments that would authorize new sanctions on Russian Federation.

In the attack at the mausoleum, one suicide bomber blew himself up while the second one was killed in a gunfight, according to the semi-official Tasnim news agency.

Trump has repeatedly accused Iran of sponsoring "terrorism".

Public works projects on Trump's agenda for Ohio visit
The president also plans a speech on his push to spur infrastructure investments using public-private partnerships. The White House has yet to outline specifics of the infrastructure plan.

Trump said the United States would "grieve and pray" for the victims, but added: "We underscore that states that sponsor terrorism risk falling victim to the evil they promote".

Hezbollah is seen as a proxy to Iran in Syria and Lebanon and has aligned itself with Tehran amid mounting regional tensions with Saudi Arabia and other Gulf states.

Intelligence Minister Alavi said that the terror threats had intensified against the country in the last month and few days during they arrested groups of two, three or individuals every week.

It said they returned to Iran in August under the command of an IS leader and escaped when authorities initially broke up their extremist cell. Witnesses said the attackers fired from the parliament building's fourth floor at people in the streets. The Sunni extremists are battling Iranian and Russian-backed forces in Syria and Iraq.

Iran is now backing the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad against Sunni rebels and jihadi groups in the war-torn country.

"We still can not judge that Saudi Arabia has had a role in this terrorist incident", he added. Khomeini led the 1979 Islamic Revolution that toppled the Western-backed shah to become Iran's first supreme leader until his death in 1989.

State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said the US expressed condolences to the victims and their families.

State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert had said the U.S.is sending thoughts and prayers to the Iranian people following the attacks.

Comments