The Justice Department's official statement Tuesday was there was no decision.
According to the Department of Justice, Sterling fit the description of the person with the gun.
The Justice Department had been investigating whether officers violated Sterling's civil rights in the killing, and The Washington Post reported Tuesday evening that prosecutors had come to the conclusion that no officers could be charged.
He said he's very disappointed with the Justice Department's decision to not file charges against the officers.
On Tuesday, rumors circulated that the Department of Justice had concluded its investigation into the case and were not planning to charge either officer due to lack of evidence.
Did the person act unreasonably (did they commit the act with no good reason)?
"The USDOJ's review of this matter was to determine violations of federal law: specifically, federal civil rights laws", Landry said in a statement.
Lee Wesley urged Broome to demand the release of body camera video from the officers that is expected to show what happened outside the Triple S Food Mart in the early morning hours of July 5 a year ago.
Community members gather during a vigil at the Triple S Food Mart after the U.S. Justice Department announced they will not charge two police officers in the 2016 fatal shooting of Alton Sterling, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S., May 2, 2017.
Fred Crifasi, an attorney for Howie Lake, the other officer who responded, said that his client was "relieved", but he declined to comment further.
Celtic thrashing reveals extent of Pedro Caixinha's task at Rangers
These guys are probably on the most they will ever earn in their careers so they are not going to leave. Many watching at home were suitably disgusted.
"Baton Rouge is on a stage right now", she said.
As Sterling lies fatally wounded, the other officer removes something from Sterling's right pocket. "A man has died".
Sterling was known as the "CD man", a laid-back guy who sold CDs and DVDs in front of the convenience story on the west side of the city. "Our heart goes out to the family".
Sterling's family on Wednesday condemned the Justice Department's decision to not pursue charges against Salamoni and Lake, telling CNN they hoped the cops would ultimately be fired. The convenience store owner said officers twice deployed the devices before the shooting.
Sterling, 37, died in July previous year after being shot in the chest and back while he was pinned to the ground in a parking lot outside a convenience store.
Given these circumstances, the evidence can not establish beyond a reasonable doubt that it did not appear to Officer Salamoni that Sterling was reaching for his pocket.
Landry warned that a state investigation, which was delayed to allow the federal probe to proceed, "could take a considerable amount of time". They have investigated these types of matters on a routine basis, including their work in Marksville on a case we recently prosecuted against a former deputy marshal.
Baton Rouge Mayor Sharon Weston Broome said today that she was appalled that news of the DOJ's decision was "leaked" on Tuesday through the press before Sterling's family was notified.
"We are not going to take this sitting down", she said. To substantiate civil rights charges, he said, prosecutors would "have to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Officer Salamoni did not believe that Mr".
There must be proof that officers acted with "the specific intent to do something the law forbids", which is considered a very high legal standard. Stewart said that he was told in a meeting with Department of Justice officials that Salamoni walked up to Sterling, pointed a gun to his head and said "I'm going to shoot you, b****".


Comments