Stockholm truck attack suspect showed interest in IS

Adjust Comment Print

The suspect behind the Stockholm truck attack had been facing deportation and had extremist sympathies, Swedish police say. "We are now investigating its content", Dan Eliasson, chief of the Swedish Police said at a press conference on Saturday.

Swedish police have identified a 39-year-old man originally from Uzbekistan as the suspected driver.

Police had been looking for him since the Nordic country's Migration Agency in December gave him four weeks to leave the country.

The man suspected of hijacking a truck and using it to commit Friday's attack in Sweden, killing 4, had been denied residency in that country, officials said Sunday.

On Friday, the 39-year-old is alleged to have barrelled a stolen beer truck several hundred metres (yards) down the bustling pedestrian street Drottninggatan in the heart of Stockholm.

Police said they had now identified three of the four dead, one of whom was a Belgian citizen, according to a tweet from Belgium's foreign minister.

Initially, he said, he did not know what had happened, but as he made his way to his wife's office, he saw people lying motionless and police officers with body armor rushing to the site.

Police found explosives in the truck used in the attack, Swedish public broadcaster SVT said.

Banc of California Target of Unusually High Options Trading (BANC)
Flinton Capital Management LLC purchased a new stake in Associated Banc Corp during the fourth quarter valued at $120,000. Following the transaction, the insider now directly owns 20,341 shares of the company's stock, valued at $521,746.65.

There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack by any terrorist organization thus far, despite the similarity of the attack to those of terrorists linked to the Islamic State terror group.

Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel at the crime scene following the terror attack in central Stockholm. Stockholm county spokesman Patrik Soderberg said four of the 10 were considered "seriously" injured and the remaining six, including the child, were slightly hurt.

The incident comes on the heels of several similar attacks in Europe - a man rammed his auto into a crowd in London near Parliament in March, killing five people. "We do not comment on what we have seized", he said.

Police say the suspect isn't necessarily identical with the man seen in photos released after the incident.

In a statement on its Facebook page, the Ahlens department store apologized "for a bad decision".

He said he stayed in the bus a bit longer, before taking shelter in a clothing store on Kungsgatan.

Stockholm officials, meanwhile, moved thousands of flowers at a makeshift memorial to a nearby square after a fence outside the department store was overwhelmed with tributes and threatened to collapse.

Comments