U.S. Vice President Mike Pence said Sunday that North Korea's "provocation" underscored the risks faced by American and South Korean service members, hours after the North conducted a failed missile launch shortly before Pence's arrival.
In the face of North Korea's failed medium-range missile test this weekend, the White House opted to stay the course on its own plans and allow the Pyongyang regime to explain its failure, while remaining prepared for military action if necessary.
"There is no change in the basic position of South Korea and the USA to proceed, as planned, with the preparations for the early operation of the THAAD system against North Korea's advancing nuclear and missile threats", Moon Sang-gyun, a spokesman for the Ministry of National Defense, said at a press briefing.
Pence, joined by his wife, Karen, placed a wreath at Seoul National Cemetery during a brief ceremony.
Tensions on the peninsula have ratcheted up in recent weeks, amid tit-for-tat saber-rattling from the United States and North Korea and analysts' warnings that North Korea was preparing for a sixth nuclear test.
"This morning's provocation from the North is just the latest reminder of the risks each one of you face each and every day in the defense of the freedom of the people of South Korea and the defense of America in this part of the world", Pence told U.S. military families at an Easter dinner, at the start of a 10-day Asia tour.
"We need to apply pressure on North Korea so they seriously respond to a dialogue" with the worldwide community, he said, urging China and Russian Federation to play more constructive roles on the issue.
He suggested plans to deploy a US missile defense system in South Korea were damaging its relations with China. "The problem will be taken care of".
On a visit to the border between North and South Korea earlier in the day, Pence reiterated that the USA "era of strategic patience" with Pyongyang was over.
Earlier in the day, Pence visited the Korean demilitarized zone (DMZ), which he described as the "frontier of freedom". That led North Korea to issue routine threats of attacks on its rivals if they show signs of aggression.
Turkey's president Recep Erdogan wins referendum to greatly expand powers
But the Cumhuriyet opposition daily focused on the alleged violations: "A shadow fell over the ballot boxes", it said. We estimate that the government's influence extended to 90 percent of the Turkish media", Sevinc told Arab News.
McMaster, an Army lieutenant general, made the case for global action on the issue, including enlisting North Korean neighbour China, given the "brutality" of Kim's regime.
The regime followed that - according to USA and South Korean officials - with an attempted missile test Sunday from the eastern port of Sinpo.
Mr Pence, whose father served in the 1950-53 Korean War, said he was humbled to be at the DMZ and hailed the alliance with South Korea.
US officials told CNN they did not believe the missile had intercontinental capabilities, and blew up nearly immediately after launch. He says any use of nuclear weapons by North Korea will be met with "an overwhelming and effective response".
North Korea has conducted five nuclear tests, including two past year.
Pyongyang has conducted several missile and nuclear tests in defiance of UN sanctions, and regularly threatens to destroy South Korea and the United States. Washington has reportedly chose to focus on "maximum pressure and engagement" to induce the North to denuclearize.
The meeting will begin at 1:30 p.m.at Hwang's official residence in Seoul, followed by a press conference where they will issue a joint statement expected to carry the allies' stern warning against possible provocations by Pyongyang, such as a nuclear test.
The officials weren't authorized to speak publicly on the results of the policy review and requested anonymity.
"(The election) could lead to a shift in alliances, shift in policy among South Korea, the United States and Japan when it comes to" dealing with Pyongyang, she said.
Pence's visit to South Korea comes as the country prepares for an election next month following the ouster of President Park Geun-hye. Pence displays in his office his father's Bronze Star and a photograph of his father receiving the honor.
/https:/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-expressandstar-mna.s3.amazonaws.com/public/PMIZZIUOUJBKFIOTAC67RGYSWQ.jpg)


Comments