USA envoy shows Afghan president draft Taliban deal

Adjust Comment Print

Senior White House officials have proposed the move, which Central Intelligence Agency and military officials say could strain American talks with the Taliban to end the war, the Times reported Tuesday.

Afghan presidential spokesman Sediq Seddiqi told reporters the government would study the deal to make sure it addresses the goals of a lasting ceasefire and direct talks with the Taliban in the near future.

President Ashraf Ghani's spokesman showed the assembly happened on Sunday night time on the presidential palace in the capital, in a while after the U.S. envoy Zalmay Khalilzad arrived from Qatar following the belief of the 9th spherical of talks with the Taliban.

Four civilians and two members of the security forces were killed in the attack on Puli Khumri, the capital of Baghlan province, with 20 civilians and two security forces wounded.

Elsewhere Sunday, at least eight civilians were killed when their vehicle hit a roadside bomb in northern Balkh province, said Munir Ahmad Farhad, spokesman for the governor.

The Taliban attacked northern Afghanistan over the weekend, killing members of the Afghan security forces and civilians.

Minutes before the blast, the top USA peace negotiator Zalmay Khalilzad, said the US forces would vacate five military bases in Afghanistan in initial 135 days after signing of the peace deal with Taliban.

President Donald Trump has made clear he wants to end the USA troop presence in Afghanistan, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Monday said he had orders to scale back American forces by the 2020 election.

It includes provision for so-called "intra-Afghan" talks to reach a broader political settlement and end the fighting between the Taliban and the Western-backed government in Kabul.

Iranian official tweets at Trump after apparent rocket failure
He also published footage of the satellite at the Iranian Space Research Centre, saying that it has not been launched yet. Nevertheless, Azari Jahromi preferred not to comment on the alleged incident at Imam Khomeini Space Center in Semnan.

Khalilzad gave no main points of the deal, which is predicted to peer 1000's of USA troops withdrawn from Afghanistan in trade for promises by means of the Taliban to not permit the rustic for use as a base for rebellion assaults in a foreign country.

The official added that "if and when we are able to announce an agreement, the process will pivot to intra-Afghan negotiations where the Taliban will sit with other Afghans and together they will commit to a permanent and comprehensive cease-fire".

More than 30,000 overseas troops are in the rustic, maximum serving as a part of a NATO-led project to coach and help Afghan forces.

The Taliban, who now control or hold sway over roughly half of Afghanistan, have stepped up attacks in recent months to strengthen their negotiating position.

He declined to say how long the rest of the roughly 14,000 USA troops would remain in Afghanistan after the first stage of the withdrawal, although Taliban officials previously insisted that all foreign forces must leave.

For its part, the US seeks Taliban assurances that Afghanistan will not be a safe haven for extremist groups to plan and launch global terror attacks.

But there are concerns among Afghan officials and USA national security aides about a US withdrawal, with fears Afghanistan could be plunged into a new civil war that could herald a return of Taliban rule and allow global militants, including Islamic State, to find a refuge. But he seemed determined to proceed on a bargain which intends that the withdrawal of a 14,000 remaining United States troops in exchange for Taliban guarantees that Afghanistan won't be utilized as a launching pad for general strikes.

Fighting also broke out Sunday in Pul-e Khumri, the capital of neighbouring Baghlan province, but officials said the situation was "under control".

Comments