Chamisa's Movement for Democfratic Change (MDC) called off planned anti-government demonstrations on Friday, saying it aimed to avert bloodshed after police rounded up its followers and dispersed them with batons and water cannon.
In response, an MDC official told Reuters news agency that the party was not aware of the prohibition order and the demonstrations would take place as planned.
"I left my vehicle at home because I belong to the party that organised this demo, so I have to participate, prohibition order or not", said Isaac Zibagwe, a 28 year old lawyer who arrived at the square shortly before police moved in.
"If demonstrations go ahead we urge the security forces and protesters to ensure they proceed calmly and without any violence", reads a statement signed by its spokesperson Rupert Colville.
"We came in peace today, just like we did in 2017 (in demonstrations to oust former President Robert Mugabe) but look at what they have done to us", said Chiringa.
Biti said police were beating their supporters after they defied a protest ban. "We shall march for the restoration of the people's dignity and for the return of functional industries, for democracy, accountability and the respect of human rights", he said. Police are chasing demonstrators and arresting some. One woman collapsed on the street after being beaten. "Together we can not fail", said Khaya Moyo.
The series of demonstrations has been widely viewed as a test of how Mnangagwa, who has so far this year failed to make good on promises of political and economic reform, responds to dissent in a country tainted by a long history of repression.
.
Kashmir: After 12 Days of Clampdown, Govt Announces Restrictions Will Be Eased
At this point, the bench said it can also refer this matter to the bench which on Tuesday had entertained a similar petition. Subrahmanyam said schools will open from next week and the restrictions will be removed in an orderly manner.
In a lengthy letter to the Zimbabwe Heads of Christian Denominations, which had written to him asking for dialogue between the two main parties to pull the nation from the dark hole, Mnangagwa said he could not dance to pre-conditions set by Chamisa for national engagement. The court early Friday rejected the application from the opposition party, the Movement for Democratic Change, to declare the planned protest to be legal.
Opposition mass protests against deepening economic problems in Zimbabwe were called off on Friday after a court upheld an 11th hour ban imposed by the police. Instead, Zimbabweans are enduring shortages of United States dollars, fuel, bread and rolling power cuts.
In Geneva, the UN Human Rights Office called on the government to allow peaceful protests.
The opposition and human rights groups accuse Mnangagwa of following in the footsteps of his predecessor, whose 37-year rule was marked by draconian security measures and economic mismanagement that turned the breadbasket of Africa into a basket case. "Much worse, he is still to respect the legitimate will of the Zimbabwean people as expressed in the results of the 2018 elections", Mnangagwa said.
Although protesters gathered, many more Harare residents stayed off the streets and shops closed to avoid any possible trouble. National Constitutional Assembly leader Professor Lovemore Madhuku, a member of Polad, said demonstrations had outlived their usefulness given that there was dialogue initiated by President Mnangagwa.
"We are exhausted, enough is enough", MDC member Patience Gurure said moments before police dispersed her group.





Comments