The company that organized the trip that took USA student Otto Warmbier to North Korea announced Monday that they would no longer take Americans to the Hermit Kingdom after the 22-year-old died, days after he was released back to his home country.
Several hundred turned out at the McIntire Amphitheater Tuesday night to mourn the loss of Otto Warmbier, the University of Virginia student who died Monday.
The Ohio coroner's office said on Tuesday that it had not been able to determine the cause of Warmbier's death after carrying out an external examination.
"We hold North Korea accountable for Otto Warmbier's unjust imprisonment", US State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said at a news briefing on Tuesday.
The 22-year-old University of Virginia undergraduate was on a study overseas travel tour in January 2016 when he was arrested for trying to steal a propaganda banner from his hotel in the capital of Pyongyang. His family says it was told he had been in a coma since soon after his sentencing.
Mr Warmbier's doctors said his brain injury was most likely to have been caused by cardiopulmonary arrest cutting the blood supply to the brain.
U.S. President Donald Trump blamed the "brutality of the North Korean regime" for Warmbier's death. In a later tweet he appeared to lament that China's efforts to change North Korea's behaviour have failed.
Van ploughs into Muslims in London
Police officers stand guard outside a residential property in Cardiff, south Wales as investigations continue into the attack . A cafe owner who had pinned Osborne to the ground said he's sure the attacker would be dead if the imam hadn't intervened.
Assistant Secretary of State Susan Thornton said USA officials are "going to give the DPRK/North Korea issue top priority in our discussions, aiming to advance concrete cooperation with China towards a peaceful resolution of the nuclear and missile threat from North Korea".
His parents told The Associated Press in a statement the day of his release that they wanted "the world to know how we and our son have been brutalized and terrorized by the pariah regime " and expressed relief he had been returned to "finally be with people who love him".
"Unfortunately, the bad torturous mistreatment our son received at the hands of the North Koreans ensured that no other outcome was possible beyond the sad one we experienced today", the family said in a statement.
"While I greatly appreciate the efforts of President Xi & China to help with North Korea, it has not worked out", he tweeted.
Vox reported that over 800 Americans travel to North Korea each year, primarily through Chinese-run travel agencies. More than 15 months after he gave a staged confession in North Korea, he is with.
In March 2016, Kim Dong Chul, a 62-year-old Korean-American missionary, was sentenced to 10 years of hard labour for subversion.
The U.S. government accuses North Korea of using such detainees as political pawns.



Comments