Iran arrests 7 more persons linked to Tehran attacks

Adjust Comment Print

The Parliament assault began when four armed assailants, dressed as women, burst into the building complex and attacked the parliament buildings in the morning, reports Tasnim news.

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - Iran's Supreme Leader said Friday that the Islamic State-claimed dual attacks that killed 17 people in Tehran this week will add to the hatred that Iranians harbor toward the US and Saudi Arabia.

In a message read at the funeral, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said that the attacks will add to what he said was the hatred Iranians harbor towards the United States and Saudi Arabia - a major Sunni power and regional archrival of Shi'ite-ruled Iran.

A statement, as reported by Financial Times, from Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) linked the attacks to U.S. President Donald Trump's visit last month to Saudi Arabia where he spoke of isolating Iran for fueling "the fires of sectarian conflict and terror".

The United States "knows that the Revolutionary Guard and its Quds force are the most important regional forces fighting terrorists", he said.

Undaunted, officials say Iran will step up the strategy, which includes sending fighters to battle Daesh in Syria and Iraq alongside allied Shiite groups. Iranian news agencies shared graphic pictures of the corpses of the attackers and their first names. At least 12 other people died in the attacks and 46 were injured.

Authorities have raised the death toll in a pair of Islamic State-claimed attacks on Iran's parliament and the tomb of its revolutionary leader to 16 people killed. "Iranian people reject such USA claims of friendship", Zarif said on Twitter.

Billionaire Moshiri to spearhead Everton’s Italian job
Indeed, it is only by virtue of Falcinelli’s prowess in the final third that Crotone still remains in contention to survive. In Romelu Lukaku, Koeman has a player with the capability of firing Everton to far headier heights than seventh place.

"This terrorist attack happened only a week after the meeting between the US president (Donald Trump) and the (Saudi) backward leaders who support terrorists".

The U.S. statement, which expressed grief for the victims, concluded with the phrase "states that sponsor terrorism risk falling victim to the evil they promote".

Documents and equipment "for carrying out terrorist operations" were also seized, the ministry said in a statement. "We still can not judge that Saudi Arabia has had a role in this terrorist incident", he added.

Mohammad Javad Zarif in a tweet on Thursday called the comments on the attack in Tehran a day earlier "repugnant" and accused the US of supporting terror. "The fact that Islamic State has claimed responsibility proves that they were involved in the brutal attack", an IRGC statement said.

Iranians will likely "view this as an attempt to test and weaken Iran, to show that they are vulnerable inside their borders", Handjani said.

The six attackers were Iranians who had joined IS, the deputy secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council, Reza Seifollahi, said on state TV.

The attackers managed to get inside the building and engaged in a shootout with the security forces.

Comments