Japan says N. Korea may have tested new missile

Adjust Comment Print

North Korea on Sunday launched a ballistic missile which flew around 700 km into the East Sea, the South Korean Joints Chief of Staff (JCS) said.

Japanese officials, however, said the missile flew for about 30 minutes, traveling about 800 kilometers (500 miles) and reaching an altitude of 2,000 kilometers (1,240 miles) - a flight pattern that could indicate a previously unseen type of missile.

Yonhap news agency reported the projectile launched appeared to be a ballistic missile.

Japan also lodged protest to North Korea over the missile launch through the Japanese Embassy in Beijing.

"Relevant Security Council resolutions have clear rules about North Korea using ballistic missile technology to carry out launches".

Kishida says the global community should prioritize efforts to implement the existing U.N. Security Council resolutions barring North Korea's missile and nuclear technology more thoroughly.

The launch is the first in two weeks. The United States maintains our ironclad commitment to stand with our allies in the face of the serious threat posed by North Korea.

North Korea fired a ballistic missile on Sunday in defiance of calls to rein in its weapons programme, South Korean and USA officials said, days after a new leader took office in the South, pledging to engage it in dialogue.

Thousands of women march across Venezuela as political crisis deepens
Maduro is resisting pressure from the opposition, which blames him for an economic crisis that has led to food shortages. Haley also raised the issue of Venezuela's detention of an American, Joshua Holt, who was arrested almost a year ago.

The missile was sacked from the region of Kusong, northwest of Pyongyang, where the North in February successfully test-launched an intermediate-range missile that it is believed to be developing.

South Korea's newly elected President Moon Jae-in has also expressed willingness to visit Pyongyang under the right circumstances.

US President Donald Trump called for tougher sanctions on North Korea.

Past North Korean missiles have flown farther than Sunday's test, landing closer to Japan, but this launch follows a series of high-profile failures. "South Korea and Japan have been watching this situation closely with us".

'Australia regards this as a reckless and provocative action that leads to instability both regional and globally and has condemned clearly in the past North Korea for this sort of behaviour and we do so again, ' Defence Minister Marise Payne told reporters in Melbourne on Sunday.

It was not clear what type of ballistic missile was sacked. It was launched near Kusung and landed in the Sea of Japan.

North Korea has been testing missiles at a rapid rate over the past year, apparently working towards leader Kim Jong Un's ambition to develop an ICBM that can reach the United States. It is not clear if that pressure has had any effect, nor is it clear if the North Korean diplomat's remark on Saturday was meant as a reply to Trump or President Moon.

Comments