United States of America confirms 'failed' North Korea missile test

Adjust Comment Print

North Korea's vice foreign minister says, "We will go to war" if the USA chooses to provoke it.

"It's unique to see that level of focus coming from the White House on economic topics that haven't usually been the purview of the administration", he said, explaining why markets continued to focus on Trump's remarks. The president has no further comment'.

"North Korea has launched an unidentified ballistic missile today early morning near the Sinpo region, but (the launch) failed", the ROK Joint Chiefs of Staff (ROK JCS) told local media.

Trump has been leaning on China to put pressure on North Korea, but has also threatened to take on the country alone if necessary. "They see this as a means to somehow decouple the US from its ally in South Korea, from its ally in Japan, and somehow create a situation whereby, at least in theory... the USA would be less willing to participate in a conflict on the Korean peninsula were it to come to that", he said.

A North Korean medium-range missile exploded seconds after it was launched on Sunday, U.S. officials said, a high-profile failure that came hours before the U.S. vice president arrived in South Korea, and as an American aircraft supercarrier approaches the Korean Peninsula in a show of force.

Addressing US service members and their families at a "fellowship meal" in Seoul, Pence noted the "challenging time" for the world.

In response to this test, South Korea's Blue House told NK News that the National Security Council (NSC) will host an emergency meeting at 09:30 AM KST.

The North, under leader Kim Jong-Un, launched a ballistic missile from the same region earlier this month ahead of a summit between the the U.S. and China. It has said it has developed and would launch a missile that can strike the mainland United States but officials and experts believe it is some time away from mastering the necessary technology.

After a two-month policy review, officials settled on a policy dubbed "maximum pressure and engagement", USA officials said Friday.

Turkish vote on death penalty would 'break with European values'
A victory for Turkey's President in a referendum on Sunday triggered a modest rally in the Turkish lira yesterday. With 99.97% of ballots counted, the Yes campaign had won 51.41% of the votes cast, while No had taken 48.59%.

United States military officials don't believe the missile had intercontinental capabilities, a United States defense official told CNN.

CNN's Will Ripley in Pyongyang, North Korea, reported there was no immediate confirmation from North Korean state media about the launch.

Asian shares fell Friday as investors fretted over rising geopolitical tensions, especially the situation on the Korean Peninsula. That led North Korea to issue routine threats of attacks on its rivals if they show signs of aggression.

"I think the (Trump) administration anticipated that a ballistic missile launch would occur, and I have to wonder whether they were prepared to use the ships that are with that carrier group to shoot down that missile" as long as the ships were positioned in the right spots, Bennett said.

Investors were spooked by worries North Korea may conduct a nuclear test or conduct other actions that could provoke neighbouring countries as early as this weekend.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un waves to people attending a military parade marking the 105th birth anniversary of country's founding father Kim Il Sung, in Pyongyang April 15, 2017.

South Korea, which has about 20 million people living within artillery range of North Korea, worries about not being included in two things: USA decisions on pre-emptive action against its northern neighbor and US discussions with the Chinese over the issue, Hill told Raddatz, who anchored the show from South Korea.

That test also failed.

Comments