UEFA denies Dortmund and Monaco did not want to play

Adjust Comment Print

Dortmund's players said they had not wanted to play the match so soon, although European football's governing body Uefa responded to the club's anger by insisting it had agreed to the rapid rescheduling.

Borussia Dortmund midfielder Nuri Sahin has said he will never forget the faces of his teammates as the Dortmund team bus was hit in a bomb attack Tuesday en route to a Champions League quarterfinal. It makes us incredibly sad but also incredibly fortunate to be standing here today, especially when you hear the details that are coming out (from the investigation).

'We were not attacked on the field by an opponent; we were attacked from inside the bus as men, ' Tuchel said in a post-match broadcast interview with former Norway worldwide Jan Aage Fjortoft.

Tuchel was less than impressed with UEFA's decision to move the game to Wednesday, saying BVB were never even consulted which made them feel powerless in the matter.

A few minutes after this attack, the only question asked was, "Are you ready to play?" - as if we had thrown a beer on our coach. "Of course we have to keep it going, but we still want to be competitive". "We do not want to use the situation as an excuse", he added. We saw it [terror attacks] a lot of times on TV and it was far, far away from us, even when it was in Istanbul in my country on New Year's Eve.

The roadside blasts left Dortmund's Spanish global Marc Bartra and a policeman injured, with the bombs "containing metal pieces" detonating minutes after the team bus set off to a planned game against Monaco.

"Everyone can imagine it was a really hard moment for me", Klopp said on Thursday. "We only had 15 players available in the squad. But this morning, we found that the training had done good, that it had made us think of something else".

Trump's Flip-Flops On Economics Move Policies Toward The Status Quo
The Opposition Democratic party leaders slammed Trump Administration for going back on its poll promise. The monitoring list was added to the exchange rate report as part of the customs enforcement law.

So far German police have arrested a man described as having "Islamist links".

Speaking after the game, Tuchel stressed that it wasn't easy for his players to mentally regroup to play the match after being targeted by a terrorist attack.

"Everyone has their own way of reacting to events. The players had the choice not to play, but no-one chose this option".

The German side lost the rescheduled game 3-2.

"It required a lot of bravery and courage, and we showed that tonight", Tuchel said.

He added of Dortmund's showing after the interval: "The spirit in the second half was great".

Comments