Germany probes possible Islamist links to Dortmund bus attack

Adjust Comment Print

"The chancellor was last night, like people in Dortmund, like millions everywhere, appalled by the attack on the BVB team bus", Merkel's spokesman Steffen Seibert told a news conference.

Police are investigating three "serious explosive devices" which went off near the Borussia Dortmund team bus ahead of a Champions League soccer match in Germany.

A letter found at the scene of the attack "claims responsibility for what happened", prosecutor Sandra Luecke said late Tuesday.

Spain worldwide Marc Bartra is recovering after a successful wrist operation following the explosives attack on the Borussia Dortmund team bus, the club and his father confirmed on Wednesday.

Dortmund president Reinhard Rauball backed the club's players to deliver a positive display against Monaco despite Tuesday's explosion.

The match has been rescheduled and will go ahead tonight (Wednesday), at 5.45pm United Kingdom time with heightened security.

An "Islamist" suspect has been detained by police investigating a bomb attack on the Borussia Dortmund team bus.

The police earlier said in a statement that the explosives "may have been hidden in a hedge near a parking lot".

"The bus turned onto the main road, when there was a huge noise - a big explosion", Dortmund's Swiss goalkeeper Roman Burki told Swiss media.

Orrstown Financial Services Inc. Lowers Position in Cabot Oil & Gas Co. (COG)
Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (COG) stock price ended its day with loss -0.04% and finalized at the price of $24.62. Latest closing price was -12.47% below its 50-day moving average and 7.26% above its 200-day moving average.

"The team is in shock".

Dortmund captain Marcel Schmelzer said on the club website: "We're all in shock and our thoughts are with Marc". "After the bang, we all ducked and those who could lay on the floor did so", he said. We didn't know whether there would be more.

A Borussia Dortmund fan poses with AS Monaco supporters who he hosted over the night.

Police in Munich said they were deploying an additional 80 officers and strengthening security around hotels and key routes for the match there.

As a gesture of solidarity, Monaco fans began chanting "Dortmund" from the stands of the German Westfalenstadion, where the match had been due to take place.

Federation Internationale de Football Association president Gianni Infantino condemned the incident, while Uefa counterpart Aleksander Ceferin said he was "deeply disturbed" and praised the decision to postpone the game.

Three explosions occurred as the Dortmund squad were travelling to the Signal Iduna Park stadium for Tuesday's Champions League quarter-final first leg.

Mr Watzke said: 'It was all very disciplined. "I think the team will feel it tomorrow".

By the end of Wednesday morning, about 40 fans had gathered outside the team's training ground, many in the club's distinctive yellow and black shirts.

Comments