Pakistan militants execute 14 bus passengers

Adjust Comment Print

Unidentified gunmen killed 14 people in southwestern Pakistan after pulling them from several passenger buses, sifting through their identity cards and kidnapping them, a Pakistani official said on Thursday.

Suspected separatist militants ambushed a bus in southwestern Pakistan before dawn Thursday and killed 14 passengers, mostly navy personnel. Two passengers managed to escape with injuries.

A passenger bus - travelling between Karachi and Gwadar - was stopped by around 25 unidentified attackers in the Buzi pass area near Hangol after midnight.

Mr Dashti said the gunmen forced the passengers off the vehicle on the Makran Coastal Highway in Balochistan.

He also said it is unclear who was behind the killings and what their motive was.

Provincial home minister Mir Zia Langov told AFP a full-scale investigation had been launched into the attack, and authorities are trying to track down the gunmen, who he said had fled the scene. The identity of the victims is yet to be known. Loyalists of Islamic State terrorist outfit, who are also active in Baluchistan, claimed responsibility for plotting the bomb attack.

Within the past week, Balochistan has seen a terror attack targeting the Hazara community in Quetta which left at least 20 killed, and a blast in Chaman which targeted security forces.

Vaccine refusal drives measles outbreak
According to health officials, 329 cases of measles have been confirmed in NY city and 184 in Rockland since last October . It is also the second-largest number of cases to be reported in a single year so far since 2000.

Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan condemned the attacks and promised the gunmen would be brought to justice.

Khan also expressed his sympathies with the families of the victims.

Pakistan People's Party (PPP) Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari also condemned the incident and said that the government has failed to control the terrorists from executing their terror bids across the country.

Balochistan Chief Minister Jam Kamal condemned the shooting while referring to it as a terrorist attack.

Balochistan, which borders Afghanistan and Iran, is Pakistan's largest and poorest province, as well as the site of Islamist, sectarian and separatist insurgencies.

Last week, a powerful bomb ripped through a market in Quetta, the provincial capital, killing 20 people and wounding more than 50 others.

Comments