Judge blocks release of surveillance video in Robert Kraft solicitation case

Adjust Comment Print

State prosecutors said in court documents that there is nothing about Kraft's case that allows them to withhold the evidence from the public.

"Absent a court order, the state will be releasing the requested public records once it has retrieved and reviewed the records and deleted any portions of the record which are statutorily exempt under Chapter 119", Miller wrote. The video will not be released before then.

Both Kraft and Wang's attorney have requested that the videos be barred from release while their cases are pending.

Jupiter was part of a multicounty investigation of massage parlor prostitution and possible human trafficking that resulted with the arrests of about 300 men and the closure of 10 spas. Kraft pleaded not guilty to his two misdemeanor charges, rejecting a plea deal in favor of a jury trial.

Prosecutors have offered to drop the charges if Kraft enters a diversion program for first-time offenders, as some others charged have.

"I am truly sorry", he said in a statement last month.

Eco-Activists Bring London to a Standstill, Majority of Britons Oppose Protests
The protest saw more than a thousand people block off central London's Waterloo Bridge and lay trees in pots along its length. Police officers then climbed up onto the train roof to unstick the protesters before removing them.

Friday's hearing took place after media outlets, including CNN, requested the video be released.

In late March, Kraft's attorneys suggested the way police obtained the video was "illegal". In court documents, his attorneys alleged that investigators provided false information in the affidavit to obtain a warrant for the sting, thus making the video inadmissible.

But Circuit Court Judge Joseph Marx, who is overseeing the cases involving the spa's owner and manager, ruled that the video would remain sealed pending an April 29 hearing, when he will consider whether the evidence should be suppressed, according to court records.

Deadspin reports that Kraft's lawyers, William Burck and Alex Spiro, are targeting Florida's public records laws, claiming that they violate the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which is created to protect citizens from unlawful searches and seizures. But whether the public will ever get to see the video evidence from inside the spa has dominated the coverage lately.

In the documents filed Wednesday, State Attorney Dave Aronberg said he can not wait for a ruling on Kraft's legal challenge.

"As the custodian of the records, [prosecutors] can not delay the release of records to allow a person to raise a constitutional challenge to the release of the documents", the office reportedly wrote.

Comments