Erdogan says attackers targeting Turkey will go home 'in caskets'

Adjust Comment Print

Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Friday "strongly condemned" the attack on two mosques in New Zealand that left at least 40 people dead.

At weekend election rallies Erdogan showed video footage of the shootings, which the gunman had broadcast on Facebook, earning a rebuke from New Zealand's foreign minister who said it could endanger New Zealanders overseas. The rallies for the March 31 election were aired live on Turkish TV.

Tarrant visited Turkey at least twice in the past few years, Turkish officials said.

"We do not want to see a cross and crescent conflict again", Erdogan said in a reference to Christians and Muslims.

Three Turkish citizens were wounded.

But on Monday, during a commemoration of Ottoman soldiers killed in the 1915 Gallipoli campaign against British, Australian and New Zealand forces, the Turkish firebrand warned New Zealanders that he would return any would-be terrorists "in caskets" if they attempted to bring anti-muslim attacks to Turkey. We are ready to resist and speak loudly about it in Canakkale...

He urged people to think before acting and directed a message at extremists saying: "You are not going to frighten us".

Trump again tries to pressure GM on OH plant closure
Earlier on Sunday, Trump tweeted that "Democrat UAW Local 1112 President David Green ought to get his act together and produce". A UAW spokesman told The Journal that the union is "leaving no stone unturned" to keep the plants open.

On Friday, Erdogan said the suspected gunman had "targeted our country, our nation and myself".

Turkish authorities had begun investigating everything from hotel records to camera footage to try to ascertain the reason for his visits, the source said.

The primary suspect, Brenton Tarrant, appeared before the court on Saturday on murder charges connected with Friday's terror attacks in Christchurch.

"We are coming for Constantinople and we will destroy every mosque and minaret in the city", which will be "rightfully Christian-owned once more", the manifesto said, referring to modern-day Istanbul.

Turkey is already probing to establish Tarrant's movements in Turkey during his stay between March 17-20 and September 13 to October 25 in 2016, a senior Turkish official tells TRT World.

Speaking at a press conference, New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern expressed her gratitude over the arrival of the Turkish delegation.

'Within 10 days of this horrific act of terrorism we will have announced reforms which will, I believe, make our community safer, ' she said today.

Comments