Good news for Sreesanth fans; Supreme Court lifts the ban from Cricketer

Adjust Comment Print

The former cricketer was banned for life for his alleged involvement in spot-fixing during the 2013 Indian Premier League (IPL).

The bench headed by Justice Ashok Bhushan set aside the life ban on Sreesanth and asked the board to reconsider the quantum of punishment within three months.

The Delhi Police had arrested Sreesanth, along with cricketers Ajit Chandila and Ankeet Chavan, and others on charges of spot-fixing. The issue of Sreesanth's ban might come up among the CoA on that day. However, the court rejected Sreesanth's plea that he should not be punished at all because he was acquitted in the spot-fixing case.

The Supreme Court made it clear its order will not impact the criminal proceedings now pending against Sreesanth in the Delhi High Court. In August 2017, the Kerala High Court had lifted the life ban imposed on Sreesanth and also set aside all proceedings against him.

Is this what the Pixel 4 XL will look like?
One of the most important changes in Android 10 is its expanded support for innovative designs, such as foldable smartphones. We expect more devices will be added to the Android Q beta before long, but for now, it's pretty much a Pixel party.

On the point being that he is 36 years old and last played top-level cricket in 2013, Sreesanth felt that he can make a comeback to cricket easily. On this, Sreesanth was quoted saying, "I hope that the BCCI respects the verdict of the country's highest court and allows me to at least get back to the cricket field". Sreesanth then moved the top court challenging the Kerala High Court order upholding the lifetime ban on him.

Speaking to media after the release to the decision in his favour, Sreesanth said, "I don't know what life has in store for me after all these years". Calling the ban on Sreesanth playing cricket "unfair", senior advocate Salman Khurshid, appearing for the cricketer, told the bench that "nowhere in the world, life ban has been imposed on a cricketer like this".

The former cricketer, who was arrested and later discharged by a trial court here in July 2015 in a criminal case related to the alleged spot-fixing, had claimed he had to confess his involvement in the alleged crime as police tortured him in custody and threatened to implicate his family in the case.