Crash victim says Prince Philip is right to give up driving

Adjust Comment Print

A woman who suffered a broken wrist in a auto crash involving Britain's Prince Philip last month said the 97-year-old has made "the most sensible decision he can" by giving up his driver's license.

One woman, Emma Fairweather, was left injured after Prince Phillip's Land Rover Freelander collided with a her vehicle when he pulled out of a driveway.

The UK's Prince Philip, 97, has chose to "voluntarily surrender" his driving licence following a crash last month, Buckingham Palace announced on Saturday.

Prince Philip was behind the wheel of a Land Rover that collided with a Kia on January 17 near the royal family's Sandringham estate in Norfolk, eastern England.

A 9-month-old baby in the auto escaped injury.

Further controversy followed when photographs showing the Duke driving without wearing a seatbelt were released. According to reports, the Duke of Edinburgh was subsequently offered "suitable words of advice" by a Norfolk police officer.

In a letter sent on January 21, Philip wished Ms Fairweather a "speedy recovery" and said he "failed to see the auto coming".

The Duke of Edinburgh was reportedly dazzled by the winter sun when he backed into a busy A road near the Queen's Sandrinham estate in Norfolk and hit a Kia, carrying a baby, a mum and a grandmother.

Middleweight champion Robert Whittaker ruled out for title defense fight
The new feature attraction will be the old co-main event as Anderson Silva and Israel Adesanya will close the show in Melbourne. Gastelum, of California, is riding a two-fight win streak, including a split-decision victory over Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza .

Sky News' royal correspondent Rhiannon Mills said the decision was likely a hard one for the prince, a keen motorist.

The Crown Prosecution Service stated that the incident file would be reviewed as they considered whether to bring charges, adding they "will take this development into account".

Prince Philip drove the Obamas around on their visit to Windsor in 2016.

The same witness said Philip had told police he was "blinded by the sun" when he turned onto the road without seeing the oncoming auto.

Prince Philip later wrote a letter to Ms Fairweather saying that he was "deeply sorry" and wished her a "speedy recovery".

Philip retired from public life in 2017, although he still occasionally appears with his 92-year-old wife at official events.

In 2016, the duke famously drove the Obamas when the then U.S. president and First Lady visited Windsor.

Comments