Supreme Court issues notice to N Srinivasan, Niranjan Shah

Adjust Comment Print

The Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators has filed their status report accusing former president N Srinivasan of disrupting meetings for transparency.

CoA counsel and senior advocate Parag Tripathi and C.U. Singh said that Mr. Srinivasan, who attended the June 26 meeting as the nominee of the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association, is both disqualified under the nine-year maximum limit for office-bearers and is above the age limit of 70.

The State and member cricket associations of BCCI have no business to choose disqualified persons as their nominees, the Supreme Court prima facie observed on Friday.

Choudhary said that in addition to the three shortlisted recommendations, the special committee wanted restrictions waived for representatives of states attending board meetings, and members who sit on different committees.

The report stated that such disqualified persons have vested interests, because "if the judgment is implemented, such disqualified persons will have to relinquish control over their respective state/ member associations".

Srinivasan had earlier been asked to step down by the SC over the 2013 IPL spot-fixing scandal, involving his son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan.

S Korea raises 2017 GDP growth forecast to 2.8%
The yuan-denominated deposits stood at US$1.22 billion (1.39 trillion won), down US$70 million (79.49 billion won). Yen deposits were valued at $4 billion in June from $4.38 billion in May, the latest data showed.

In another development, the Court has accepted former BCCI president Anurag Thakur's unconditional apology offered on Thursday.

"The SGM held on June 26 was manifestly disruptive".

With that, the proceedings of contempt, perjury and criminal have been dropped against Thakur. "Office bearers can not nominate a disqualified person".

The bench said it will decide the matter on the next date of the hearing and sought replies from Srinivasan and Shah on the objections raised by CoA in their report. Sibal argued that his clients should also be allowed to suggest names; the court granted him the request and made a decision to hear the matter on July 24. It was mentioned in the report that despite Srinivasan being disqualified to become member of BCCI, he attended the meeting.

It said the court will hear the arguments on the aspect of recall of order on September 5, along with the pleas of various state cricket associations praying for issuance of funds from BCCI for holding matches.

Comments