Number of Presumed Dead in London Fire Rises to 79

Adjust Comment Print

The toll of people dead, or those missing and presumed dead following a devastating blaze in a London tower block has risen to 79, amid the police warning that the figure may change.

Releasing the first images from inside the burnt-out building, Commander Stuart Cundy said some of the victims may never be identified. The conditions due to the fire damage verge on indescribable, which is why this will be such a lengthy operation taking weeks to complete.

Families who have lost their homes must be supported, he said, grieving people must be helped and lessons must be learned following the tragedy, including ensuring it is not "so hard" for those who need help to find it.

"Sadly at this time there are 58 people who we were told were in Grenfell Tower on the night, who were missing, who I have to assume are dead".

Although police did not speculate on the eventual number of fatalities, local community sources say at least 70 from Grenfell Tower are still missing, including entire families.

A revised death toll is expected to be released later today.

May announced on Friday that her government has set up a £5 million ($8.4 million Cdn) "discretionary fund" to help pay for food, clothing, personal supplies and funerals.

Pakistan crush India to win the ICC Champions Trophy
This is the second time Pakistan have won a global title in the 50-over format after their triumph at the 1992 World Cup. Overall Pakistan had been the better side in every respect: batting better, fielding better and bowling better .

Residents will be given £500 in cash followed by a bank payment for the rest from Monday.

The venue had been a focal point for efforts to support those affected by the fire which engulfed the apartment tower in a matter of minutes.

An inquiry should be properly resourced so it can get the full truth about the fire as quickly as possible, he said.

On Saturday, May met for two hours with 15 survivors and community leaders at her official residence at 10 Downing Street in London. The building was run by Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation (KCTMO) on behalf of Kensington and Chelsea London Borough Council.

Prime Minister Theresa May has admitted that the support for families in the immediate aftermath of the fire "was not good enough".

When the prime minister visited the west London site of the fire on Thursday she spoke only to emergency services.

Speaking in Parliament, Mr Corbyn said: "The ward where this fire took place is, I think, the poorest ward in the whole country and properties must be found - requisitioned if necessary - to make sure those residents do get re-housed locally".

Comments