Engine theft 'caused 126 migrants to drown in Med'

Adjust Comment Print

Since 2015, Europe has been experiencing the worst migration crisis in its history, struggling to accommodate hundreds of thousands of refugees and migrants fleeing hostilities in the Middle Eastern and North African countries.

The U.N. migration agency said four survivors have recounted how some 126 fellow migrants drowned off Libya last week when their dinghy foundered.

Nearly 130 migrants were feared to have drowned off the coast of Libya after smugglers stole the engine from their overloaded rubber dinghy, causing it to sink.

The survivors - two Sudanese and two Nigerians - said traffickers stole the boat engine several hours after they left the Libyan coast on Thursday. The survivors said some 130 people, a lot of them Sudanese, had been aboard. That boat itself was found by rescuers, and all the passengers were eventually transferred to the coast guard vessel.

Brexit Secretary David Davis targeting a 'deal like no other in history'
DAVID Davis and Michel Barnier have kicked off the Brexit negotiations this morning with a historic handshake in Brussels . Subjects for the negotiations include the status of expats, the Northern Ireland border and the so-called "divorce bill".

"They were in shock, traumatised by what had happened, and exhausted", Di Giacomo said, adding that there were no official witnesses to what had happened, but refugees from the second boat had confirmed the account.

To read this article in one of Houston's most-spoken languages, click on the button below. He said authorities didn't realize when the migrants were brought ashore that the four had been mixed in with the survivors from another boat.

An Italian coastguard ship docked in the Sicilian capital Palermo on Monday with 1,096 people on board including 11 pregnant women, as the surge in migrant crossings continues.

Comments