Former North Korea detainee Otto Warmbier dies

Adjust Comment Print

U.S. President Donald Trump spoke out against North Korea following the death of American student Otto Warmbier who was imprisoned in the country for more than a year.

Following Warmbier's release last week, Trump said a "truly bad thing" happened to Warmbier.

Scans showed the extensive loss of matter in all regions of Warmbier's brain as a result of oxygen deprivation.

Warmbier, a University of Virginia student, was medically evacuated from North Korea and flown to Cincinnati late last Tuesday.

Analysts say North Korea often attempts to use foreign detainees to wrest outside concessions.

On Capitol Hill, Rep. Ed Royce, R-Calif., the chairman of the House Foreign Relations Committee, called for the U.S.to ban all tourist travel to North Korea. He said he and his wife grew frustrated with the lack of word about their son from former President Barack Obama's administration, which they said instructed them to keep a low profile to avoid upsetting the North Koreans. "It's a brutal regime, and we'll be able to handle it".

President Donald Trump condemned North Korea's brutality after Mr Warmbier's death, saying the USA mourned its latest victim. While almost all Americans who have been there have left without incident, visitors can be seized and face lengthy incarceration for what might seem like minor infractions. And he's condemning the "brutality of the North Korean regime as we mourn its latest victim". From Senator Sherrod Brown, who says, our hearts are broken for Otto's family and everyone who knew and loved him, says that he and his wife are praying for Fred and Cindy Warmbier, whose grace in the face of this unthinkable grief is truly remarkable, says the strength and love of their family continues to inspire us all.

After multiple missile launches in May, the UN Security Council voted unanimously on June 2 to introduce new sanctions targeting Pyongyang's nuclear and missile program.

Yun went to North Korea on June 12 with a medical team to secure Warmbier's release, the official said.

Drake and Lorde among iHeartRadio Much Music Video Award winners
His bandmates plastered on dozens of colourful balloons to mark the occasion. "Thank you, I want to say thank you so much". Picking up the gong, she dedicated it to her dad Alejandro Cabello, "because it's Father's Day".

In a separate written statement, Trump offered his "deepest condolences" to Warmbier's family "on his untimely passing".

Warmbier, 22, had been in a coma since coming home to the United States last week.

Jonathan Bae, whose father, Korean-American missionary Kenneth Bae spent two years in North Korean captivity before his release in 2014, expressed sadness at Warmbier's death.

He was sent back to the USA last Tuesday on humanitarian grounds - it emerged he had been in a coma for a year. Three Americans still are being held in North Korea.

On March 16, 2016 Otto was sentenced to 15 years of hard labour by the North Korean supreme court for his transgressions. At one such meeting recently, North Korean officials stated that denuclearization is off the table and that there's nothing the US or South Korea can offer that will induce them to stop pursuing nuclear capability. Such direct consultations between the two governments are rare because they don't have formal diplomatic relations.

Warmbier was "generous, outgoing, sweet, smart as a whip, just an overall good guy", Danica White, his sophomore English teacher, recalled last week.

Warmbier's death could chill efforts to restart a dialogue with North Korea.

Earlier in the day, Acting Assistant Secretary of State Susan Thornton was asked during a briefing on the upcoming high-level security talks with China if the U.S.is considering any retaliatory action against the North for mistreating Warmbier, but she avoided a direct answer.

Comments