1 dead, 8 injured in the latest terror attack on London

Adjust Comment Print

On March 22, a man drove a rented vehicle into pedestrians on Westminster Bridge in London and stabbed a policeman to death before being shot dead.

A man has died and 10 people have been injured after a man drove a van into worshippers near a north London mosque.

Police later said it was unclear whether the deceased man might have died of an unrelated condition or injuries, as he was already on the ground being treated by bystanders after an apparent collapse when the van drove onto the sidewalk.

Police have said they are investigating the crash as suspected terrorism and have arrested the driver, a 48-year-old man who was taken to a hospital as a precaution.

Police said earlier that one person was arrested.

Investigators believe the man who died in front of the mosque should not have died just from the impact with the vehicle, writes BBC News. "It is too early to state if his death was as a result of the attack", police commander Neil Basu said. He will also be subject of a mental health assessment in due course.

Mohammed Kozbar, chairman of the Finsbury Park Mosque, called for Prime Minister Theresa May's government to take action.

The collision occurred outside Finsbury Park's Muslim Welfare House, which is nearby the Finsbury Park Mosque. Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby went even further on behalf of the religious community and deemed this as "an attack on us all".

One witness described being surrounded by bodies in the wake of the attack outside the Muslim Welfare House, yards from the mosque. "It appears from eyewitness accounts that the perpetrator was motivated by Islamophobia", he said.

"Luckily I managed to escape when I did and then the guy came out from his van, I got him one guy who was running through behind him and they came past me, so I managed to get him on the floor", Alamoudi told Buzzfeed News.

Muslim Council says van struck people leaving mosque
Khan called it "a deliberate attack on innocent Londoners, many of whom were finishing prayers during the holy month of Ramadan". Eyewitnesses reported chaotic scenes as the incident unfolded just after midnight, when evening Ramadan prayers had finished.

Images of the van showed it was rented from Pontyclun Van Hire in Pontyclun, near Cardiff. "Immediately after the incident, people were praying for the victims of the attack".

"When I looked back, I thought it was a auto accident, but people were shouting, screaming and I realized this was a man choosing to terrorize people who are praying", Ali said. He said in a tweet he has been in touch with mosques, the police and the local council regarding the incident.

Home Secretary Amber Rudd described the attack as an appalling incident and said police were treating it as a "terrorist incident".

"An advance trauma team from London's Air Ambulance has also been dispatched by auto", the statement said.

One man was pronounced dead at the scene and eight others were taken to hospital.

Prime Minister Theresa May has responded to complaints from some in the Muslim community that police failed to quickly respond to the attack on the north London mosque and declare it terrorism.

"The investigation of the incident is being carried out by the Counter Terrorism Command". The van, they said, ploughed into those trying to assist him.

British security officials, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with official policy, said hate crimes directed at Muslims have increased almost five-fold in the wake of several attacks in Britain. Part of Seven Sisters Road was closed as the operation and investigation continued.

Manchester was also hit by a severe attack when a bomber killed more than 20 people at an Ariana Grande concert.

The most recent van incident comes just weeks after three men slammed a van into pedestrians on the London Bridge, killing eight people.

Comments