Suspect Arrested After Colliding With Pedestrians in London

Adjust Comment Print

The attack comes during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. "We condemn this attack and its attempt to escalate tensions in the United Kingdom and we stand firmly besides our Muslim brothers and sisters in the aftermath of this attack". "He (the driver) was screaming..." I said, 'We are not going to kill you.

The van driver, a 48-year-old man, has been arrested and Home Secretary Amber Rudd said the police were treating it "as a terrorist incident". All of the casualties were Muslims, police say.

It was unclear whether the man died as a result of the attack, Basu said.

I heard the sound of the van crashing.

A second clip shows the man, who is white with black hair and wearing a blue top, being bundled towards a police van.

The council later released a statement saying that it was aware that people were describing the incident as a "terror attack".

Members of London's Jewish community are standing in solidarity with Muslims following an apparent terror attack outside a mosque on 18 June.

"One man was pronounced dead at the scene", Metropolitan Police Service said in a statement.

Police said there were no other people being sought in connection to the attack later Monday morning, but noted that the investigation was ongoing.

Earlier this month on London Bridge, Islamic extremists used a vehicle and then knives to kill eight people and wound many others on the bridge and in the popular nearby Borough Market area.

Worcester residents have reacted with shock to the incident, especially given the recent attacks in Westminster Bridge, Manchester and London Bridge.

Priciest House Race in History Is Too Close to Call
Many analysts believe it may provide insight into the fortunes of the parties in next year's midterm elections for the U.S. Less than 48 hours before the polls open in Georgia's 6th congressional district for a special election to replace Rep.

In July 2005, four British Islamists killed 52 commuters and themselves in suicide bombings on the British capital's transport system in what was London's worst peacetime attack.

"(The imam's) bravery and courage helped calm the immediate situation after the incident and prevented further injuries and potential loss of life", he said.

Dozens of people had just finished prayers at the mosque when a van ploughed into pedestrians at about 12.15am.

A spokesman added: "One year ago Jo Cox was assassinated on the street". There had been a number of events over the weekend to commemorate her life.

Witnesses said the suspect was smiling and waving as he brought carnage to Seven Sisters Road, with video posted online showing him give a nonchalant wave as police put him in the back of their vehicle.

"From the window, I started hearing a lot of yelling and screeching, a lot of chaos outside ..." "And one of them was under the van, people were gathered around the van to actually lift the van up to get this guy up from under the van". It was not immediately clear why no charge had been made in relation to the one death. "This is a terrorist attack", said Abdul. "He targeted Muslims this time", the witness, identified only as Rayan, said.

"He had been restrained by about three people".

Eyewitness Khalid Amin told BBC television that the van turned deliberately left and "just hit the people".

"So we just run straight away, I see police, ambulance, people lying on the floor, and a van as well", said Al-Sulaman.

Members of the congregation in the two mosques in the area are mainly from North and West Africa.

Comments