Theresa May tries to quell public anger, meets fire victims

Adjust Comment Print

Cundy said the search was paused over safety concerns Friday, but has since resumed.

Syrian refugee Mohammed Alhajali, a civil engineering student who wanted to help rebuild his war-torn homeland one day, was the first victim named.

He said he was not interested in knowing why they had left it so long to make themselves known, but stressed that it was vital for police to know they are safe and well.

Later, dozens of people appeared to push and shove each other outside the town hall.

He told reporters that the investigation's "absolute priority" is to establish the identities of those inside the building.

Many residents are still missing and the death toll was expected to grow higher, Metropolitan Police Commander Stuart Cundy said.

Police said six victims had been provisionally identified, adding that they were still unable to estimate the number of people missing.

The area surrounding the tower has been plastered by desperate relatives with pictures of the missing, from grandparents to young children.

One of the confirmed victims died in hospital, police said, while 24 injured survivors are still being treated, 12 of them in critical care.

White House committed to anti-Russian sanctions - spokesperson
The amendment on Russian Federation , which passed in a 97-2 vote on Wednesday, was attached to a bill to strengthen sanctions on Iran.

Mrs May was rushed away from a meeting with residents of the building on Friday under heavy police guard as protesters shouted "Shame on you", and hundreds stormed a local town hall calling for justice.

Protesters are descending on Downing Street chanting "May out" as she becomes the figurehead for much of the outrages. She said Britain remains "resolute in the face of adversity" after the horrendous fire and recent extremist attacks in London and Manchester. The announcement comes as the government is accused of failing to improve fire safety in buildings, like Grenfell Tower, despite warnings. Mansur said people were not satisfied with the answers they were being given.

"It will look at the building itself".

May said she would be responsible for implementing the inquiry's findings, while the victims' legal costs would be met by the government.

May added that those who were left homeless by the blaze will be given homes in three weeks.

Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Cambridge visited the area Friday and met with residents and community representatives, CNN reported. The monarch has expressed her sympathies to families of victims of the blaze.

"It is hard to escape a very sombre national mood", Elizabeth said in a message on her official birthday. He came to Britain in 2014 with his brother.

"He came to the United Kingdom because he had ambitions and aims for his life and for his family".

Comments