I'll come back, William vows after visiting Grenfell Tower community with Queen

Adjust Comment Print

LONDON - The Metropolitan Police warned that they may never be able to identify all the bodies of those who died in the catastrophic fire that ripped through Grenfell Tower, a 24-story residential tower block in west London.

Public anger is mounting as residents and neighbors demand answers for how the blaze early Wednesday spread so quickly and trapped so numerous tower's 600-odd residents.

He told the Press Association: "I'm positive because I think it was a real chance for local residents, people affected by this tragedy, to voice their concerns directly to the Prime Minister so that she could hear them".

Queen Elizabeth and Prince William this morning met victims of the Grenfell Tower fire and members of the emergency services at a refuge centre in west London.

Police said Friday they had identified the place where the fire started, adding that it was unlikely to have been ignited deliberately, CNN reported.

Mr Cundy said the police investigation into the blaze would look at the building and its refurbishment in 2016 and vowed to prosecute people "if there is evidence".

Opponents said May's handling of the fire had thrust her position further into doubt by showing a failure to feel the public mood and act decisively.

Scotland Yard has launched a criminal inquiry into the fire as it has emerged that the type of cladding panels used on the building have been widely prohibited on tall structures in the US since 2012 because of its flammability.

It may take some time though, before the families of the victims know the fate of their loved ones. Some people then left the building, though others remained inside.

Missing US sailors found dead in flooded compartments
The missing sailors could be trapped in a damaged section of the destroyer, a statement from the 7th Fleet suggested. Japanese media reports have also confirmed that all seven had been found dead. "This has been a hard day", Vice Adm.

Cotton added: "Our specialist urban search and rescue crews are now working to make the block safe so our firefighters can continue to progress throughout the building, making a detailed, fingertip search for anyone who may still be inside".

Dozens are still missing.

Facing criticism for not meeting victims of the fire much sooner, British Prime Minister Theresa May visited the injured at a central London hospital on Friday.

She said earlier that the national mood is somber but that Britain is resolute in the face of adversity.

After a turbulent three months which has seen three militant attacks and now the tower blaze, Queen Elizabeth said "it is hard to escape a very sombre national mood", in a message on her official birthday.

London's mayor Sadiq Khan was heckled by an angry crowd demanding answers, and there are fears that tensions could escalate.

Scuffles broke out near the Kensington and Chelsea town hall offices as demonstrators chanting "We want justice!" surged toward the doors. Police said on Friday that 30 people were confirmed to have died.

Engineering experts and fire safety specialists believe the building's exterior cladding may have quickly fueled the blaze, overwhelming fire protection devices. The group previous year completed a 10 million pound ($12.8 million) renovation that included new outside insulation panels, double-paned windows and a communal heating system.

The tower is in the North Kensington neighborhood, a working-class, multi-ethnic area next to some of the richest neighborhoods in Britain. "But we need to make sure that that actually happens".

Comments