58 missing, presumed dead in London fire : London police

Adjust Comment Print

Grief over a high-rise tower blaze that killed dozens of p.

Hundreds of protesters took to the streets of London on Friday to demand answers over the catastrophic blaze that tore through the Grenfell Tower housing block in west London.

King also said that there are around 4,000 tower blocks in the United Kingdom without automatic fire sprinkler protection systems in place.

People demonstrate demanding answers over the Grenfell Tower fire, in London, Friday June 16, 2017.

The 58 victims who were believed to be missing after the disaster have been presumed dead, the London Police said. However, police have also said they do not expect to find any other survivors and that the number is likely to rise significantly.

Residents said they had been complaining for years about lax standards while aspects of a recent $13 million refurbishment to the building have fallen under suspicion of allowing the fire to spread more rapidly than expected.

Firefighters are still searching for victims in the 24-story Grenfell Tower that went up in flames early Wednesday.

Two Underground lines near the fire area were partially shut down on Saturday to make sure that debris did not land on the tracks. A new sign was put up, removing that detail.

Transport for London said the move had been made "at the request of the London Fire Brigade".

Major roads near the stricken building were open Saturday.

London fire death toll hits 30 as dozens remain missing
OVER AT at Kensington town hall, protesters have stormed the building and are in the lobby chanting: "We want justice". A Friars Walk spokesman also confirmed cladding on the development is not the same as that used on Grenfell Tower .

Police have been struggling to come up with an authoritative list of who was in the building when the fire started, making it hard to determine how many had died.

Ms May, who was criticised a day earlier for not meeting with locals and survivors, visited the area again on Friday to meet with some locals inside a church. "However, there may be other people who were in there on the night that others were not aware were there", he said.

May is chairing a government task force on the fire and a spokesman says that she will meet afterward with "a group of residents, victims, volunteers and community leaders" at No. 10 Downing Street.

"I said 'where are you?' He said 'I'm in the flat, '" Ali said.

Meanwhile, Queen Elizabeth II observed a minute of silence, along with her husband, Prince Philip, before the annual parade marking her official birthday.

The fire that consumed London's Grenfell Tower, tragically killing at least 30 people, may have dissipated, but it has once again focused attention on the city's social housing crisis. British health authorities say that 19 patients are still being treated at four London hospitals.

Among concerns previously been raised by people in the wake of the fire was the lack of a centralised missing person list and worries over where Grenfell residents will be rehoused.

Anger over the causes of the fire and the government's handling of the tragedy have grown during the week. "I absolutely get why they're angry".

May, whose political position was already weakened by a poor showing in parliamentary elections last week, announced the government would immediately provide 5 million pounds ($6.39 million, 5.7 million euros) to help victims of the fire.

"There is considerable damage within Grenfell Tower", he said.

Comments