When I worked for KCTMO I had nightmares about burning tower blocks

Adjust Comment Print

Twenty firefighters and four fire engines remained at Grenfell Tower throughout last night (local time), the London Fire Brigade said.

May also drew criticism for seeming wooden and reluctant to engage in open debate with political rivals and voters during her election campaign, but local government minister Sajid Javid, responsible for housing policy, defended her on Friday. She has promised to set up a public inquiry and pledged 5 million pounds ($6.40 million) to help the victims.

Protesters demanding justice after the deadly Grenfell Tower inferno have attempted to storm the upper office floors of Kensington Town Hall.

Fire tore through the Grenfell Tower in north Kensington in the early hours of Wednesday morning, killing at least 17 with many others missing.

May has outlined a series of measures to help those left homeless by the devastating fire which engulfed the 24-storey apartment block on Wednesday.

At least 70 people, including children and entire families, have been reported missing following the fire.

Speaking after, Mrs May told Sky News: "What I want to talk about today is what the Government is making available to the victims of this absolutely horrendous tragedy, I think we were all when we saw the horrific scenes that had happened at Grenfell Tower..."

"Sadly, it is expected that the total will rise and it is not expected that any survivors will be found", he said.

People write messages on a wall for the victims and in support for those affected by the massive fire in Grenfell Tower, in London, Thursday, June 15, 2017.

Wallace: Trump's Tweets Are Keeping Mueller's Russia Probe in Headlines
A spokesman for the Justice Department did not respond to an email request for clarification and comment Friday morning. The White House initially said that was the main reason for the Federal Bureau of Investigation director's dismissal.

Her decision came as politicians, community leaders and residents asked a simple question: "How in the 21st century can people perish in their own homes in one of the wealthiest boroughs in Britain?"

Queen Elizabeth II marked her official birthday Saturday by saying Britain remains "resolute in the face of adversity" after the horrendous fire and recent extremist attacks in London and Manchester. And sorrow is quickly turning to anger over whether the building met fire and safety regulations.

London Fire Commissioner Dany Cotton said there were still "unknown numbers" of people in the smoldering ruins of the building.

There has been growing fury on the low-rent estate where residents wanted answers on why the fire was able to spread so rapidly and why complaints about safety had been ignored.

"We have examined the original location where the fire started, and there is nothing to suggest at this time that the fire was started deliberately", he said.

She returned Friday to meet survivors, residents and volunteers at a local church - but faced cries of "coward" and "shame on you".

Although police don't suspect arson to be the cause of this fire, a criminal investigation was launched to see if there was any foul play involved.

Adding that 24 people were still in the hospital, Cundy said 12 were receiving critical care.

He said that of the 17 victims confirmed dead, only six have been formally identified, adding search for victims could take "months".

Comments