Terror attack becomes focus of British campaign

Adjust Comment Print

Police said authorities killed Khuran Shazad Butt, 27, Rachid Redouane, 30, and one other man after they jumped out of a hired van that had slammed into pedestrians on the London Bridge late Saturday and stabbed multiple people at nearby Borough Market.

An Italian prosecutor says that Youssef Zaghba, one of the three men who carried out last weekend's deadly attack in London, was notified to Britain as a "possible suspect" back in March 2016.

Police investigating the terror attack at London Bridge, in which eight people died, have made another arrest.

The other two attackers were named Monday as Khuram Shazad Butt and Rachid Redouane.

This is a breaking news update.

There are now two men in custody while another 12 people held following the attack have since been released.

The police response to the rampage, which saw officers shoot dead the attackers within eight minutes of police receiving the first call, has been widely praised.

United Kingdom police revealed on Monday the identities of two attackers that helped carry out Saturday's terrorist attack in London.

Police said they were still working to establish the identity of the third attacker.

Searches of the residential address in Ilford, as well as a business address in Ilford are ongoing.

Oil prices plunge to one-month low after United States stocks rise
Obviously, the market is not impressed with the production cuts, and continues to focus on production increases in the U.S. The supply cut deal championed by Saudi Arabia targeted a reduction of 1.2 million barrels per day.

The disclosure means that perpetrators in all three of the terrorist outrages to hit Britain this year had at some point appeared on the radar of security agencies - although none was considered high risk at the time of the attacks.

Police on Tuesday also arrested a 27-year-old man in Barking on suspicion of violating the Terrorism Act and a residence there was being searched.

On a day when it became clear that at least one of the attackers was previously known to the security services, opposition politicians zeroed in on May's record as home secretary.

Charisse O'Leary, who married Redoaune in Dublin in 2012, said she has "shed many tears for the people caught up in this horrific incident".

As interior minister from 2010 to 2016, May oversaw a drop of 20,000 in the number of police officers in England and Wales, which her main opponent, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, said should never have happened and warranted her resignation.

"All the work done has never provided any evidence or intelligence of attack planning or other serious offences, consequently as time went on prioritisation of that operation moved and was now in the lower echelons", Rowley said.

He appeared in a Channel 4 documentary entitled "The Jihadis Next Door" about British extremists that was broadcast past year, British media reported.

Forensic experts gather evidence near Borough Market in London as they continue their investigation into Saturday night's terror attack.

Le Drian said a third French citizen remained missing.

Comments