General leading Philippine battle with Islamists relieved of command

Adjust Comment Print

Terrorists from other countries were among those killed by military forces in Marawi City, according to the Philippine government.

Duterte has asked the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), an Islamic separatist movement based on the Philippines island of Mindanao, to help negotiate a peace settlement with the Islamist fighters, who are predominantly drawn from the Maute Group based in and around Marawi. The Philippine official added that the foreign fighters used "back channels" in the Sulu and Celebes Seas near the borders of the Philippines, Indonesia and Malaysia to enter the southern island of Mindanao and link up with local terror groups.

Militants flying black Islamic State (IS) group flags rampaged through Marawi almost two weeks ago, triggering clashes with troops and police that have left at least 178 people dead.

Parrying questions on why the fighters had been able to resist the Philippine army for so long, senior officers said the main problem was that 500-600 civilians were still trapped in the urban heart of the town.

". the Maute, even if they fight two months, they will not starve here", he told a news conference about a kilometre from the fighting.

"If you look at it, there are underground tunnels and basements that even a 500-pounder can not destroy".

The clashes erupted on Tuesday last week when gunmen waving black flags of the Islamic State (IS) group rampaged through the mostly Muslim-populated city in response to a military raid on the hideout of Abu Sayyaf leader Isnilon Hapilon, who has a US$5-million price on his head offered by the USA government.

The militants had torched a police station, a school, a prison and a church. He is on the United States government's list of most-wanted terrorists.

"Recalcitrant remnants of the Maute-ISIS refuse to heed the call of government to give up their arms and continued their resistance while holed in fortified buildings and structures", the AFP's Padilla said. Gen. Restituto Padilla said Thursday, adding they were needed to neutralize Maute snipers.

Andy Murray eyes Wimbledon resurgence after Stan Wawrinka defeat
However, on his return, Nadal clinched the French and US Open titles and reclaimed the numero one spot in the ATP Rankings. The Spanish colossus is yet to drop a set in six matches, conceding a miserly 29 games to reach the title match.

Despite the unfortunate setback, Lorenzana expressed confidence that government troops would take hold of Marawi City by its self-imposed deadline of June 2.

2,000 The number of civilians trapped in the southern city of Marawi by fighting between troops and militants after a brokered truce fell through, ending rescue efforts.

Philippine Marines stand guard outside a mosque in Marawi City.

A four-hour ceasefire to evacuate residents was marred by gunfire on Sunday, leaving hundreds of civilians who had hoped to flee the fighting stuck in their homes.

"It's very sad to be hitting our own troops", the defense chief said.

As of Saturday, 120 Maute members and 38 soldiers were killed in Marawi, the military said.

Another report said authorities identified militants from Pakistan, Turkey, Morocco and India. The belligerent leader, who declared 60 days of martial law on Mindanao, has threatened to literally eat terrorists as long their remains are seasoned with salt and vinegar.

The petition filed by six House lawmakers led by Rep. Edcel Lagman said there was no revolution or invasion where public safety required the declaration of martial law and suspension of the writ of habeas corpus.

Comments