Qatar rejects Saudi-led bloc's 'terror' list

Adjust Comment Print

"We are not ready to surrender, and we will never be ready to surrender the independence of our foreign policy", he said, adding that Qatar's residents need not fear food shortages.

"The Saudis' main objection to the Brothers isn't their radicalism - Riyadh happily supports far worse in many countries - but their populism and perceived threat to the royal pretensions of the House of al-Saud", he stated.

In this February 6, 2012 photo, then-Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al-Thani, center, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, left, and then-Hamas leader, Khaled Mashaal, arrive to sign an agreement in Doha, Qatar.

The United States and Israeli both backed the Saudis even though they were the world's state sponsor of terrorism, both in the "hard" form of money and arms and the "softer" form of Wahhabist ideology, Jatras explained.

The list of 59 figures and 12 entities includes the spiritual leader of the Muslim Brotherhood Yousef al-Qaradawi.

"Doha is not without supporters".

Trump on Tuesday hailed the decision by the states to cut ties with Qatar as a sign his trip to Saudi Arabia paid off.

The move was announced as Turkey's president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, approved new legislation - rushed through the Turkish parliament the day before - for increased military cooperation with Qatar, including the potential deployment of Turkish troops.

Qatar-based broadcaster Al-Jazeera said that it was under a wide-scale cyberattack, which had targeted "all systems", according to a statement released on social media by the broadcaster.

Police name two London bridge attackers
The attack on Saturday night , London time , was carried out by Khuram Butt , 27, Rachid Redouane , 30, and Youssef Zaghba , 22. Police arrested 12 people on Sunday in Barking, east London , but said late on Monday all had been released without charge.

Turkey and Iran, together with Russian Federation, are participants in the Astana process de-escalation zones acceptable to Damascus but at odds with Riyadh and Washington, Jatras concluded.

At the root of Egypt's dispute with Qatar is Doha's support of the Brotherhood.

Qatar strongly denies the allegations and has expressed a willingness to engage in talks to resolve the crisis.

The UAE's national postal group suspended services to Qatar and the UAE aviation authority said it had closed air space for traffic to and from Doha.

"The emir has no plans to leave Qatar while the country is under a blockade", the official told Reuters.

"This is a foreign policy gone wild", state minister for foreign affairs Anwar Gargash told AFP.

"The previous emir is a big supporter of this whole extremist agenda, so we do have an issue", the official said.

A company source later said the network was combatting a large-scale cyber attack but remained operational, and Qatar's official state TV said it had shut down its website temporarily after facing hacking attempts.

Other regional players have come out in support of Qatar.

Comments