Police name two London bridge attackers

Adjust Comment Print

But London police later announced they had recovered a body from the River Thames in their search for Xavier Thomas, a 45-year-old French national missing in the terror attack.

Witnesses said people threw chairs and pint glasses at the men, who wore what police said were fake explosive vests.

Thomas was walking with his girlfriend over the bridge when the attack began.

'They have been taken into custody at a south London police station and are detained under the Terrorism Act'.

Two men were arrested by armed police on a street in Ilford, east London.

Police arrested 12 people on Sunday in Barking, east London, but said late on Monday all had been released without charge.

The attack on Saturday night, London time, was carried out by Khuram Butt, 27, Rachid Redouane, 30, and Youssef Zaghba, 22.

President Trump's Lawyer: Comey's Now Admitted He's "One of These Leakers"
Trump later contradicted his own staff and acknowledged on May 11 he fired Comey because of the Russian Federation probe. The Republican National Committee worked aggressively to discredit Mr Comey ahead of the hearing and as it unfolded.

He was also arrested on "suspicion of the preparation of terrorist acts", police said.

The announcement came a day after London's Metropolitan Police Service named two other men as attackers: 27-year-old Khuram Sharzad Butt, a British citizen born in Pakistan, and 30-year-old Rachid Redouane, who "claimed to be Moroccan and Libyan". His parents - Moroccan father, Italian mother - lived together in the North African country for a time.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan had earlier said that cuts in the number of police officers had had an impact on the ability to prevent attacks.

The Renault van used to stage the attack was hired just before the attack, police said. "However, there was no intelligence to suggest that this attack was being planned and the investigation had been prioritised accordingly", police said.

The three assailants were all shot dead by responding officers less than eight minutes after they were first called.

Earlier on Wednesday, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said he had spoken to the families of both Boden and Zelenak after Julie Bishop confirmed two Australians had been killed in London.

The vehicle and knife attack launched by three men in the London Bridge area Saturday night that killed seven people and injured dozens is shaping the final days of an election campaign, focusing attention on May before Thursday's vote.

Comments