Man arrested in raid in connection with London attack

Adjust Comment Print

Police believe a body recovered from the River Thames is French tourist Xavier Thomas, who has been missing since Saturday night's London Bridge attack.

Italian news reports say the London Bridge attacker who had been stopped in Italy en route to Syria a year ago was subsequently listed in the European-wide intelligence-sharing system and was stopped at London's Stansted airport in January but let go.

The other seven victims killed have been named as: Canadian Christine Archibald, 30, James McMullan, 32, from Hackney, east London, Alexandre Pigeard, 27 and Sebastien Belanger, 36, both from France, Australians Kirsty Boden, 28, and Sara Zelenak, and Spaniard Ignacio Echeverria, 39.

On Wednesday, the Metropolitan Police said a 30-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of terror offences in Ilford, east London. All three of the attackers were shot dead by police. Italian officials said suspicions about him were shared with British authorities and his name was subsequently listed in the European-wide intelligence-sharing system.

Police said earlier that witness accounts suggested he might have been thrown into the river.

On Tuesday a 27-year-old man was arrested in Barking on Tuesday in connection with the investigation.

He said Zaghba was always tracked by Italian intelligence officers while in the country and that United Kingdom authorities were informed.

Nadal into 10th French Open semi-final
And we are going to find more and more records, but at the end of the day this kind of things are not important. He put me in a hard situation, so it's up to me to avoid being put in uncomfortable situations.

Ms Delcros was seriously injured by the van, although her condition in hospital has stabilised, her family said.

Italian authorities said Zaghba was stopped at the Bologna airport in 2016 and questioned in Italy, but never charged with a crime.

Then, his passport and cellphone were sequestered after he tried to board a flight for Turkey with a one-way ticket and a small backpack. He was later released without charge.

The former London Underground worker carried out the mass murder while wearing a hoax suicide vest over his Arsenal shirt. The company did not immediately respond to Associated Press requests for more information. Borough Market, a popular gathering place, remains closed as more evidence is gathered.

Entering the final day of election campaigning, Theresa May said she will change human rights laws if they "get in the way" of tackling suspected terrorists.

"We are so proud of Kirsty's courageous actions which demonstrate how selfless, caring and heroic she was, not only on that night, but throughout all of her life", they added.

Comments