The remains of a Moroccan peacekeeper who was killed in an incident in the Central African Republic, has been identified and returned to Morocco on Thursday, announced The Moroccan Royal Armed Forces (FAR).
The United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA) held a memorial ceremony today in honour of five peacekeepers who lost their lives after their convoy was attacked in the south-eastern part of the country earlier this week.
The UN called the ambush, which also left nine Moroccan troops and one Cambodian soldier injured, the "biggest attack in the auto so far".
The total number of the victims of the attack now amounts to five, four nationals from Cambodia and one Moroccan.
United Nations spokesman Stephane Dujarric said Thursday that searchers found the body of the missing Moroccan near Bangassou, about 474 kilometers (295 miles) east of Bangui where the ambush occurred.
Cyberattack in UK part of international attack
It is the first piece of self-spreading ransomware, said Adam Meyers, a research with cyber security firm CrowdStrike. Shortly after that disclosure, Microsoft announced that it had already issued software "patches" for those holes.
Eight fighters from the mainly Christian anti-Balaka militia were killed in the firefight and appear to have initiated the attack on the convoy near Bangassou. Factions of the Seleka rebel group have also started fighting each other for control in the central region. Violence by armed groups has risen sharply since late a year ago. He will express "strong support for the United Nations peacekeeping mission" that was set up in 2014 to help stabilise the country, Dujarric said.
Violence flared in Alindao, some 100 kilometers (62 miles) east of Bambari on Saturday and Sunday as a faction of the mostly Muslim Seleka rebel group fought with the Christian anti-Balaka forces.
UN Security Council has condemned the attack in the strongest terms, noting that attacks against peacekeepers may constitute war crimes. Members called on the Central African Republic's government to swiftly investigate the attack and bring the perpetrators to justice.
The Secretary-General also reiterated his support to the actions of MINUSCA to protect civilians and stabilize the Central African Republic, and called "on all parties to heed President Faustin Archange Touadéra's call to cease violence and work together towards the stability of the country".





Comments