No charges expected in Louisiana police shooting of black man

Adjust Comment Print

Local officials criticized the Justice Department for failing to inform them before the news became public.

At the City Hall press conference, Broome said she has not seen the tapes and does not expect to receive them.

CNN has not independently confirmed those media reports, which cited unnamed sources.

The department is slated to make an announcement about the case at around noon ET.

And Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who inherited the Baton Rouge case, is certain to face further attention over how he proceeds in the fatal shooting on Saturday of a 15-year-old black high school student by an officer near Dallas, a case that reignited debate over police-community relations.

"He put a gun to his head y'all making it seem like it was Alton", Sandra Sterling, Alton's aunt said in an emotional press conference.

She added, "We need closure, we need a conviction".

Officers Blane Salamoni and Howie Lake II were accused of violating Sterling's rights under the Fourth Amendment, which outlaws unreasonable search and seizure, including unreasonable physical force by police.

The mayor was upset by the reports, the first of which appeared in the Post. Baton Rouge Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome said in a statement that she was "appalled" that no one in her office had been notified, nor had anyone in Sterling's family been given a heads up.

"We conferred with two use-of-force experts, nationally recognized in their field", said Amundson, who was flanked by officials from the DOJ in Washington and the Federal Bureau of Investigation office in New Orleans.

McDonnell: Labour Will "Come Out Fighting" From Historic Council Election Loss
He specifically warned of a Tory lurch to the Right if May was returned with a Tory majority up from 17 to a much bigger figure. Despite the scale of the Conservative victory, May told reporters that she still believed Labor could win the general election.

It is unclear whether the state will pursue charges. The family called on state Attorney General Jeff Landry to bring charges.

"It's Rodney King 2.0", said Jo Hines, 23, the artist who spray-painted an iconic image of Sterling on the side of the Triple S Food Mart where the shooting occurred. During a vigil at the site where Sterling was killed, many expressed disappointment, CBS New Orleans affiliate WWL reported. She added that justice "needs to be served".

The killing gripped the nation because two bystander videos, each less than a minute long, captured Sterling's struggle with the two officers. The controversy of the case lies in whether or not Sterling was reaching for his gun.

The convenience store owner said officers deployed a Taser twice. When Officer Blane Salamoni pulled a gun, Sterling placed his hands on the auto hood, but then tried to move them, spurring the other officer to use a stun gun.

In video of the deadly encounter, police are heard saying "he's got a gun!" Salamoni yelled that Sterling was going for his pocket and had a gun, prompting the other officer to draw his gun and yell at Sterling not to move.

Video footage of the killing showed the officers holding Sterling on the ground when he was shot multiple times, prompting protests and a federal inquiry.

Amundson says investigators were not able to determine if Sterling was actually reaching for a gun when officers said he was on the night he was shot in July of 2016.

Sterling was shot in the chest and back.

Video footage of the struggle between the two white officers and the black man triggered days of protests and almost 200 arrests in Baton Rouge.

Chris Stewart, the family's attorney, said justice is on the way for their loved one. "He was doing it with the permission of the store owner, so he wasn't trespassing or anything like that".

Comments