A California judge on Tuesday blocked President Trump's executive order that sought to withhold federal funds from so-called "sanctuary cities".
Supporters of the sanctuary policy argue that enlisting police cooperation in rounding up immigrants for removal undermines communities' trust in local police, particularly among Latinos.
In the meantime, though, the part of the January executive order explicitly at issue in the case can not be enforced to cut off federal funds to any jurisdiction unless the specific terms of a federal grant make it a condition that the city or county join in enforcing the laws against remaining in the US illegally.
The Republican president's moves on immigration have galvanized legal advocacy groups, along with Democratic city and state governments, to oppose them in court.
The executive order by Trump, who made cracking down on illegal immigration a cornerstone of his 2016 presidential campaign, directed such funding to be restricted once the Homeland Security Department determines what constitutes a sanctuary city.
Orrick rejected an argument made at a hearing earlier this month by a U.S. Department of Justice lawyer who contended the order should be interpreted narrowly to apply only to a limited set of federal criminal justice grants.
The jurisdictions had argued that billions of federal dollars that support vital services were in jeopardy when the administration threatened to cut all federal funds.
The injunction will stay in place while the lawsuits work their way through court.
Congressman Bob Brady says he's pleased by the judge's order on Tuesday.
Chad Readler, acting assistant attorney general, said the county and San Francisco were interpreting the executive order too broadly.
Rockets' Beverley fined $25000 for confronting fan
The Rockets won Game Four to take a 3-1 series lead over the Thunder , so I'm sure Beverley will get over the fine. When Harden and Westbrook are resting, Houston has guys they can turn to score, and the Thunder don't.
"And if there was doubt about the scope of the order, the president and attorney general have erased it with their public comments".
Readler said less than $1 million was at stake nationally and possibly no San Francisco funding.
They also said Trump's order applied to local governments that didn't detain immigrants for possible deportation in response to federal requests, not just those that refused to provide people's immigration status.
"The rest of the order is broader still, addressing all federal funding", Orrick said.
Orrick ruled that the federal government can not threaten to deny money that counties rely on in a way that compels local jurisdictions to adopt certain policies.
The order has also led to lawsuits by Seattle; two MA cities, Lawrence and Chelsea; and a third San Francisco Bay Area government, the city of Richmond.
"The court's decision is a win for the neediest people in our nation", Santa Clara County Supervisor Cindy Chavez said in a press release Tuesday afternoon. Dozens of local governments and cities, including New York, Los Angeles and Chicago, have joined the growing "sanctuary" movement.
The sanctuary city order was among a flurry of immigration measures Trump has signed since taking office in January, including a ban on travelers from seven Muslim-majority countries and a directive calling for a wall on the border with Mexico.
Orrick does not sit on the US 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.





Comments